Skip to Main Site Navigation Skip to Content Skip to Footer
Back To Top

Pathways to Music Education

Pathway #1 Cross-Endorsement in Music

Students seeking music teacher certification at Eastern Connecticut State University must successfully complete the following steps:

  • Enroll as an Early Childhood Education major or Elementary Education major AND as a Music major with a Concentration in Performance
  • Apply to the certification program in Early Childhood Education major or Elementary Education major. (45 credits of specified coursework required prior to application.)
  • Once accepted, students will complete all degree requirements for a double major in Early Childhood Education AND Music or Elementary Education AND Music.
  • Pass the licensure exams in the area of your certification (Early Childhood or Elementary)
  • Apply to pass licensure test – Praxis II (Music: Content and Instruction) #5114
  • Upon successful completion of your Early Childhood or Elementary certification and licensure for Music, apply to the State of CT Certification Bureau for cross-endorsement in Music.

After successfully completing these steps, you will be certified to teach Early Childhood Education or Elementary Education and Music:

  • Early Childhood Education (Grades PK-3) Certification & Music Education (PK-12)
  • Elementary (Grades 1-6) Education Certification & Music Education (PK-12)

For more information, please contact Dr. Mark Fabrizi, Department of Education, Webb Hall 154, (

Pathway #2 Graduate Study in Music Education

The Music Program at Eastern Connecticut State University has an articulation agreement with the University of Bridgeport where students earning a Bachelor of Arts in Music at Eastern qualify to apply directly to the Master of Science in Music Education at UB.

For more information about the University of Bridgeport’s program, including the tuition free internship program, admission requirements, and the degree plan, please contact Dr. Frank Martignetti, Chair of Music, University of Bridgeport School of Education, or check out the information on their website

Other universities may offer similar paths to certification for students who have completed an undergraduate degree in a major other than Music Education.