Skip to Main Site Navigation Skip to Content Skip to Footer
Back To Top
decorative edge



Veteran Affairs Policies

VA Educational Benefits

Below you will find the Federal educational benefit programs available to veterans, dependents, and selective reservists:

Contact information:

VA Financial Aid Office
(860) 465-5096

VA VETS Center
(860) 465-0402


General Information

All below campaigns and inclusive dates are designated by Connecticut General Statutes and are subject to change or amendment by the Connecticut General Assembly, and subsequent authorization by Resolution from the Connecticut State University Board of Trustees to the four constituent university campuses: CCSU, ECSU, SCSU, and CCSU.

Benefit Chapters

    • The Forever GI Bill Veterans program provides up to 36 months of educational benefits. This benefit may be used for degree. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances.
    • Based on your length of active duty service, you're entitled to a percentage of the following:
      • Cost of tuition and fees, not to exceed the most expensive in-state undergraduate tuition at a public institution of higher education (paid to school); 
      • Monthly housing allowance*( per section 501) equal to the basic allowance for housing payable to a military E-5 with dependents, in the same zip code as your school (paid to you); If you are attending multiple campuses you will use the rate of that applies to the zip code of the majority of your coursework. This applies to courses taken at our Groton location. Individuals that begin using Post -9/11 GI Bill before January 1, 2018 (VA Rate – uncapped) Individuals that begin using Post-9/11 GI Bill on or after January 1, 2018 (DoD Rate – capped) 
      • Yearly books and supplies stipend of up to $1000 per year for full time students (paid to you. This is prorated if you are enrolled part time. 
    • *Note: The housing allowance and books and supplies stipend are not payable to individuals on active duty. The housing allowance is not payable to those pursuing training at half time or less or to individuals enrolled in distance learning. 
  • The MGIB program provides up to 36 months of education benefits. This benefit may be used for degree programs. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved. Your benefits are payable for 10 years following your release from active duty. 
  • The MGIB-SR program may be available to you if you are a member of the Selected Reserve. The Selected Reserve includes the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve and Coast Guard Reserve, and the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard. This benefit may be used for degree programs. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances. 
  • Dependents' Educational Assistance provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of certain veterans. The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits. These benefits may be used for degree and certificate programs, apprenticeship, and on-the-job training. 
    • The Veteran Readiness and Employment Program is authorized by Congress under Title 38, Code of Federal Regulations, Chapter 31. You may receive Veteran Readiness and Employment (VR&E) (Formerly known as Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment) services to help with job training, employment accommodations, resume development, and job seeking skills coaching. Other services may be provided to assist Veterans and Servicemembers in starting their own businesses or independent living services for those who are severely disabled and unable to work in traditional employment. To learn more about the VR&E program, review the VR&E Process page, and the tabs and links on this page. Click on the "How to Apply" tab to apply for VR&E services.
    • Please be sure to notify the Eastern’s Office of Veteran's Affairs of any changes, with regards to your name, address, or telephone number. (Changes submitted to the VA Regional Office will NOT update Eastern VA files). 
  • If you are using either Chapter 30 or Chapter 35 benefits, you may be able to request an extension of your benefits. You can submit a written request for an extension of your VA benefits to the VA Regional Office
  • If you are continuing student, take advantage of the registering during your registration date. The earlier you register, the sooner you will be processed for your benefits. Also, note that Eastern cannot guarantee when you will receive your benefits. Be advised that late registration or multiple class changes may cause delays in processing your VA education benefits. Students with more 120 credits must complete and enrollment certification form each semester.

Other Benefits

    • The Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program (Yellow Ribbon Program) is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008. This program allows institutions of higher learning (degree granting institutions) in the United States to voluntarily enter into an agreement with VA to fund tuition expenses that exceed the highest public in-state undergraduate tuition rate. The institution can contribute up to 50% of those expenses and VA will match the same amount as the institution. Please remember that you must be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill at the 100% rate to be considered for the Yellow Ribbon Program.
    • Requirements:
      • 90 days active duty (Initial Entry Training and Active Duty Training does not qualify towards active duty service). Please see dates below for Specified War Times. 
      • Honorable discharge from the U.S. Armed Forces. 
      • Copy of Member-4 of DD-214 (with required dates of service). 
      • Be a matriculated student (officially accepted to the University through the Office of Recruitment and Admissions). Eligibility ceases upon withdrawal, dismissal, and/or graduation. 
    • Veterans who initially qualify for the in-state CT tuition waiver at the time of admission may opt to attend either full time or part time. The tuition portion of the tuition and fees bill is waived for full-time students; other applicable fees must be paid each semester. One-half of the per credit courses fees is waived for part time students to include summer, winter and intersession courses as provided for in a CSU Board of Trustees resolution. The registration fee and other applicable fees must be paid each registration period. 
    • Out-of-state students who are eligible for the waiver qualify only when in full- time attendance (no part-time, summer, winter or intersession eligibility). If domicile is attained later in school attendance, original qualification at initial acceptance remains. 
    • These requirements also apply to transfer students who may have received the tuition waiver at another Connecticut state institution.
    • The Army & Air National Guard Tuition Waiver is granted to part-time and full-time graduate and undergraduate students who are members of the Connecticut National Guard and attending the Connecticut State University System. The National Guard Tuition Waiver request forms and paperwork are available through your unit. Eligible students must apply through their unit each semester. Out-of-state students who enroll in the Connecticut National Guard also receive this waiver.
    • The National Guard tuition waivers are sent directly from the National Guard to the Bursars Office. 
    • You cannot receive National Guard Chapter 1606 Montgomery G.I. Bill benefits if you are not actively serving in a Guard unit. 
    • No fees are waived. 
    CT Army National Guard, Education Service Office: (860) 524-4820 
  • Military Tuition Assistance (TA)

    • What is Military Tuition Assistance (TA)? Military Tuition Assistance (TA) is a benefit paid to eligible members of the Army, Navy, Marines and Air Force and Coast Guard and can only be used while the student is in the service. TA is not the same as the GI Bill. The GI Bill is for Veterans and their dependents and is administered from the Veterans Administration.
    • What Will Military Tuition Assistance Cover? Congress has given each service the ability to pay the cost of the tuition expense, up to $250 per semester hour, not to exceed $4,500 per fiscal year (October 1 – September 30th). Please note: The total amount of student TA cannot exceed the total amount of tuition. This money is usually paid directly to the institution by the individual services. TA may be used for fall and spring semesters only. You may not use TA at ECSU for summer or winter sessions. This policy only applies to this type of educational benefit and does not apply to Veterans or those using Veteran benefits under the Post 9/11 GI Bill ®.

    Please visit your respective Military Service education portal for additional information:

    Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force and Coast Guard

    • If you're a full-time or 3/4-time student in a college degree program, or a vocational or professional program, you can "earn while you learn" with a VA work-study allowance. The VA work-study allowance is available to students studying under the following programs: Chapters 30, 33, 35, and 1606,. You'll earn an hourly wage equal to the Federal minimum wage or CT minimum wage, whichever is greater.
    • Services you perform under a VA work-study program must be related to VA work. Examples of acceptable work are: processing VA paperwork at schools or VA offices, performing outreach services under the supervision of a VA employee, and/or performing services at VA medical facilities or the offices of the National Cemetery Administration. The work you do will depend on your interests and the type of work available. 
    • For forms and information, one or more of the following offices or representatives can assist you: any VA regional office, any VA office or Vet Center, local representatives of veteran’s organizations, or Reserve Education and Incentives Officers. 
    • You may be eligible to receive college credit(s) by providing Eastern CT State University Admissions Office with your official Joint Service Transcript (JST) or Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) Transcript.
    • Your JST or CCAF documents the number of potential college credits the American Council on Education (ACE) recommends for your military training, education and occupational experiences. The primary purpose of the JST and CCAF is to assist service members in obtaining college credit for their military experience if applicable. 
    • The JST is for the following branches: 
      • Army 
      • Marines 
      • Navy 
      • Coast Guard 
    • The CCAF is for the following branch: 
      • Air Force 
      • Air Force Reserve 
      • Air National Guard 
    • Once you request your official JST or CCAF transcript be sent, Central Connecticut State University will evaluate the college credit recommendations on your transcript to determine the amount of transfer credit you have earned. This credit can be used for requirements for a specific major, general education or electives. 

Process for Applying for Veterans Educational Benefits

    • Click here to file a Veterans' Benefits Application for educational benefits with the Eastern Department of Veterans Affairs.
    • If you have received benefits at a previous school, you must submit a "Request for Change Program or Place Training" form (VA form 22 - 1995). If you have NEVER used your benefits before you must submit an "Application for Education Benefits" (VA form 22 - 1990) along with your DD-214 and/or your "Notice of Basic Eligibility" (DD form 2384, if a National Guardsmen) and a copy of your contract if you are eligible for the college fund (kicker) to the Buffalo VA Regional Office (Department of Veterans Affairs Regional Office, 130 South Elmwood Avenue, Buffalo, NY 14202). 
    • Note: Chapter 35 will file VA form 22-5490, Application for Survivors' and Dependents Educational Assistance. Chapters 30, 32, 33, and 1606. will file VA form 22-1990, Application for Educational Benefits. Students applying for chapter 31 will need to contact the Vocational Rehabilitation representative for authorization to receive benefits. 
    • Once accepted to Eastern you must submit a copy of your DD-214 and/or N.O.B.E. and a copy of your VA Certificate of Eligibility to the Office of Veterans Affairs. 
      • Note: Dependents do not file a DD 214 but you must have your father's social security number to apply for benefits. 
    • Once you are registered for classes and have applied for your veteran’s education benefits, you must contact the Office of Veterans Affairs, for an enrollment certification to be submitted to the regional office. 
    • Veterans are certified only for those classes that are required for their degree program. It is your responsibility to take at least 12 hours of degree required courses to qualify for full-time benefits (9 hours is considered full-time for graduate study). If you take less than 12 hours, you should make sure that all courses are required in your program. Audited courses and correspondence courses do not count as part of your course load in qualifying for benefits. If you change from full-time to part-time status you must file this change with the Office of Veterans Affairs. If you have earned more than 120 credits you must complete and have your advisor sign off on the Enrollment form before we can submit your enrollment to the VA. 
      • Note: Certify your enrollment to the regional VA Office for processing can initially take up to 12 weeks. 

Checklist for Applying

Enrollment and Payment

    • Everyone receiving MGIB - Active Duty benefits, as well as those in the Selected Reserve, must verify his or her enrollment each month to receive payment for that month. Your enrollment can be verified on the last calendar day of the month using the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) at or by calling the toll-free Interactive Voice Response (IVR) telephone line at 1-877-823-2378. (Chapter 35 students do not need to do the W.A.V.E) 
    • Students must be currently enrolled in an approved educational program and must have a current benefit award to use WAVE. The WAVE system permits students to perform a multitude of functions. For instance, students may: 
      • Verify that their enrollment has not changed 
      • Report a change in their enrollment 
      • Change their mailing address 
      • Initiate or change their direct deposit information 
      • View their enrollment period 
      • View their monthly rate 
      • Sign up for a monthly e-mail reminder 
    • Students can only "phone in" (1-877-823-2378) their monthly verification if there are no changes to the enrollment during the previous month. If there were changes in the enrollment the student must use the WAVE system or speak with a benefits counselor at 1-888-442-4551. 
  • Students receiving Chapter 30, 33, 1606 and1607 benefits have the option to have VA payments deposited directly into a checking/savings account of their choice. Call 1-877-838-2778 to set up an account or to update current direct deposit account information. 
  • VA Benefit checks are sent directly to the address the student indicated on the VA application. Payment is based on the dates the required class meets. The VA will automatically pay students for all payable breaks between regular quarters unless the veteran student states in writing that they want no pay break. Payment of benefits usually occurs between the 1st and the 15th of each month and is paid for the previous month. Inquiries may be made directly with the VA at their toll-free number 1-888-442-4551. 
  • VA monthly benefits are paid to the student (Chapter 30, 1606, 1607) based on enrolled units or the number of units that apply to the degree objective/goal currently on file. Enrollment categories are as follows:

    Standard Term

    • 12 or more units - Full-Time 
    • 9 - 11 units - Three-fourth Time 
    • 6 - 8 units - Half-Time 
    • 1 - 5 units - Less Than Half-Time* 

    Summer Term

    • 6 or more units - Full-Time 
    • 5 units - Three-fourth Time 
    • 4 units - Half-Time 
    • 3 units - Less Than Half-Time* 
    *Students enrolled less than half-time will receive benefits for Tuition and Fees only. 

Course/Credit Policies

  • U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) regulations require that all students receiving VA educational benefits meet the College’s satisfactory academic progress (SAP) standard and the College’s academic standing policy as stated in the college catalog. Students who are dismissed will be reported to the VA and subsequent enrollments will not be reported to VA until the student is re-instated or re-admitted to matriculated status. The enrollment of students who appeal their academic dismissal and who are allowed to attend in a non-matriculated status during the appeal process will not be reported to VA. Should the appeal be successful, the student’s enrollment will be reported retroactively to VA for the enrollment period to which the appeal applies.
  • The Veterans Administration will pay only for required courses listed on your Educational Plan. These approved courses must meet the minimum requirements for graduation established by the CCSU.
  • If you have received an "INC" or Incomplete for a class, please note that you will have one (1) year to complete the course before the VA may charge you with an overpayment. You are responsible to notify the Office of Veteran's Affairs when the course grades change from an "INC" to a letter grade on your transcript. 
  • Dual majors or a major and minor are not allowed by the VA in any degree AA/AS, BA/BS transfer, or certificate programs. The VA will only certify for one major and for one degree at a time. 
  • Please visit the Veteran Affairs Office if you are enrolled concurrently at another college/university. 
  • Audited courses and correspondence courses do not count as part of your course load in qualifying for benefits. 

Student Responsibilties

  • All students receiving Veterans Educational Benefits are required to comply with all applicable Federal Regulations and all Institutional Policies and Procedures. 
  • If you do not attend are not entitled to benefits. If you stop attending a class, you must drop officially and report the drop to the Veteran Affairs Office. This is one of your responsibilities. Federal law requires that students report any change in enrollment status, which might affect VA educational benefits to the school and the VA. Students who receive a grade of "F" for non-attendance may be charged with an overpayment by the VA. Failure to drop a class can result in overpayment of benefits. 
  • If you change from full-time to part-time status you must file this change with the Office of Veterans Affairs. 
  • Responsibility for payment of other charges such as student fees, course fees, room and board, and books remains with the student. Arrangements for payment of those balances should be addressed with the Office of Bursar (full-time students) or the Office of Continuing Education (part-time students). 
  • It is the student's responsibility to request certification every term. Certification is not automatic. All enrollment changes such as Add/Drop or Withdrawals, Switching Courses, etc. MUST be reported to the Veteran Affairs Office immediately. The Veteran Services Office will review enrollment to ensure it meets the requirements set forth by the VA. 
  • To change a major/goal, the student must meet with academic advisor to develop a new program evaluation. Changes to a student's major/goal will delay certification and payment. Coursework for the new major will not be certified until the new program evaluation is completed and on file at the Veteran Affairs Office. It is the student's responsibility to meet with an academic advisor as early as possible to avoid delay in payment. The VA will make the final approval on all educational goal changes. 
  • All students must complete the matriculation process, which includes placement testing for assessment in Math and English. 
  • All official transcripts must be requested and sent from all schools previously attended before a program evaluation can be completed. Educational Benefits will not be authorized until all official transcripts have been submitted and a program evaluation has been completed by Eastern. 

VA Policies

  • Effective August 1, 2018, the Post-9/11 GI Bill MHA is calculated based on the location of the campus where you physically attend the majority of your classes, rather than the location of the main or branch campus of the school where you’re enrolled. If you are using your Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits to complete your program at different locations, your MHA rate will be based on where you are physically taking the majority of classes. If your residential course load is split equally at different campuses, you will be paid based on the location with the higher rate. Some students took classes outside of the main or branch campus at a location VA defines as an “extension campus.” VA defines an extension campus as “a location that is geographically apart from the main or branch campus but is operationally dependent on that campus for the performance of administrative tasks.” If you attend classes at an extension campus, it is important to check the MHA rate using the GI Bill Comparison Tool at to see what your estimated MHA rate will be after December 1. The GI Bill Comparison Tool is updated with Academic Year 2019-2020 rates. 
  • In accordance with Title 38 US Code 3679 subsection (e), this school adopts the following additional provisions for any students using U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Post 9/11 G.I. Bill (Ch. 33) or Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (Ch. 31) benefits, while payment to the institution is pending from the VA. This school will not: Prevent the students enrollment; Assess a late penalty fee to; Require student secure alternative or additional funding; Deny their access to any resources (access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities) available to other students who have satisfied their tuition and fee bills to the institution. However, to qualify for this provision, such students may be required to: Provide Chapter 33 Certificate of Eligibility (or its equivalent) or for Chapter 31, VA VR&E’s contract with the school on VA Form 28-1905 by the first day of class. Note: Chapter 33 students can register at the VA Regional Office to use E-Benefits to get the equivalent of a Chapter 33 Certificate of Eligibility. Chapter 31 student cannot get a completed VA Form 28-1905 (or any equivalent) before the VA VR&E case-manager issues it to the school. Provide written request to be certified; Provide additional information needed to properly certify the enrollment as described in other institutional policies I, , do hereby certify this addendum to be true and correct in content and policy. Our institution will adopt this addendum, effective 1 August 2019.