Skip to Main Site Navigation Skip to Content Skip to Footer
Back To Top

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Where does a student go if he or she is having difficulties in class?

    Students experiencing academic difficulties should first consult with the course instructor. Some students find it helpful to form study groups with others in the class. Free tutoring is available through the Academic Success Center (ASC), located on the first floor of the library. More information about the Academic Success Center (ASC) can be found at

  • If my student receives special education services or is on a 504 plan in high school, does he/she automatically qualify for disability support services at Eastern?

    No, he/she does not automatically qualify for support services. To determine eligibility for disability support services your student's documentation will need to be submitted to the Office of AccessAbility Services for review. Once the information has been received and reviewed, a letter of correspondence will be sent either indicating your student is eligible for services, or is not eligible with an explanation of why. Additional information can be found on the Office of Accessibility Services website at

    Can my student meet with someone on a regular basis?

    Yes, we offer weekly meetings to students. These meetings can be for, but is not limited to, the student to just check-in; to discuss any concerns regarding his/her course; to determine how best to speak with a professor regarding a class; to work on study, note taking, test taking and/or time management skills; and/or to work on class assignments.

    Will my student's professors automatically be notified that he/she has a disability?

    No. At the college level, the student bears the primary responsibility to disclose that he/she has a disability and to request in a timely manner appropriate accommodations. This process is started by submitting documentation to the Office of AccessAbility Services and is then supported through the Office of AccessAbility Services by appropriate paperwork generated each semester which the student must then provide to his/her professors.

  • How much will books cost?

    The cost of books varies according to the courses a student takes. The average range is $400-$500 per semester. Some used books are available at lower cost. Visit the Eastern Bookstore website.

  • Is Eastern a "suitcase campus"?

    Although some resident students go home on the weekend for job or family responsibilities, many do remain on campus. The Campus Activities Board (CAB), the largest student programming organization on campus, plans events throughout the academic year, including the weekends. More information about CAB is available at the Office of Student Activities website

    My student participated in a club in high school - is there a similar club at Eastern?

    The office of Student Center/Activities is in charge of approximately 60 student-run clubs and organizations. These clubs are recognized and funded by Student Government Association. The current list of clubs can be found online. If the club does not exist, the student can start one of their own! Just have the student stop by the office and we will give them the information necessary to start the process.

    Are there ways for students to get involved in the community?

    Yes! Many Eastern students volunteer in the local community, through tutoring in afterschool programs, spending time with the elderly and medically needy, preparing and serving food at a soup kitchen, helping at a no-freeze shelter, and assisting with many community events. Not only is this a great way to gain skills and experience for after graduation, it is also a great way to meet other students who like to volunteer, too. Students are encouraged to visit the Community Engagement Office in Wood Support Services Room 244. Students can also join People Helping People, a student service organization. More information on PHP and community engagement at Eastern can be found on the website at

  • Why should students utilize the Office of Career Services before the senior year?

    Career planning is a four-year process. Students should develop an effective plan in which their knowledge of the world of work and career field options is enriched each year. They need to develop resume writing, interview and job search skills, in addition to writing and communication skills. The more information students have about careers and the world of work, the better career decisions they will make for their futures. The Office of Career Services provides students with general career counseling, personality testing/ interest inventories, access to cooperative education and employment/career fair opportunities, and career resource information. For additional information, consult the Career Services website at

    Who can assist students with choosing a major?

    Career counselors are available in the Office of Career Services. They administer assessments and discuss interests, skills, values and career planning with students.

    When are students eligible for internship?

    Most academic majors require that students have completed at least 30 credits, usually after year two.

    What kinds of companies recruit at Eastern?

    Over 200 different employers visited campus last year. Students secure internship, co-op and employment in all sectors of the economy.

  • What happens if my student gets sick?

    There is a Student Health Service (SHS) office on campus where students who are not feeling well can be seen and evaluated. It is staffed by two full time nurse practitioners, a full time nurse and a full time physician. For information about location, hours, specific services and website please see the Eastern Student Health Service information sheet in your packets. 

    How much does it cost to be seen?

    Students are evaluated at SHS at no cost to them meaning there are no co-pays and we do not bill students' insurance companies. Students are charged small fees for things like in-house lab testing i.e. rapid strep testing (cost is $4) and for prescription medications (most well under $10) when these are needed. If a student is billed for such an item, the charge usually is placed on the student's account (same account where tuition and other charges go). Students never need cash or checks at SHS.

    Do students need an appointment to be seen?

    Yes. Students can call or walk in to schedule an appointment. Appointments are readily available and virtually all students are seen the same day they schedule their appointments unless they call near the end of the business day or their problem is of a non-urgent nature.

    Does my student need the school's insurance plan to be seen?

    No. Since SHS does not bill insurance companies or other 3rd party payers, it doesn't matter what type of insurance a student has. Students who have private insurance (covered under their parents' plan) as well as students covered under the University's health plan are welcome. However, please be sure your son or daughter is carrying current health insurance information should we need to order x-rays or laboratory tests.

    What if my student gets sick at night or on weekends?

    Because of our small staff, SHS is unable to operate on a 24/7 basis. If a student becomes ill and requires evaluation after the SHS office is closed, some after-hours resources are available. Most immediately is the Housing staff -residential assistants and hall directors. While they are not trained health professionals, they can offer advice and information about what students can do and where they can get help if not feeling well. Students can also make use of the local urgent care center, Med-East, located in Willimantic about 2 miles from campus. Finally, any student having a serious health problem or a medical emergency should call 911. Both an ambulance and the campus police respond to 911 calls. Please see the bottom of the ECSU SHS information sheet in your packet received at orienation for more details.

    What if my student is on medication?

    A growing number of students are coming to college on medications. Students are responsible for both storing and securing their own medications and for taking them as recommended. If students have any questions or concerns about their medications or need or want prescriptions to get refills at a local pharmacy-plenty of pharmacies are close by-all they need to do is call or come to SHS.

    Our doctor doesn't have the meningitis shot and we can't find it anywhere else. What should we do?

    The meningitis shot is required before moving into campus housing. If you are unable to get the meningitis vaccine elsewhere, SHS does stock a supply for incoming students. If you wish to reserve a dose of the vaccine, please call SHS (860-465-5263) and provide the name of the student and a phone number where you can be reached should we need to call. Once reserved, students can come in for the shot anytime during the summer up to and including move-in day on Friday, August 29th. The cost is $95 and will be billed to the student's account.

    Is there a hospital in this area?

    Yes. The local hospital, Windham Community Memorial Hospital, is within a mile or less of any point on Eastern's campus. It has a 24/7/365, fully staffed and equipped emergency department. Also, most medical specialists are present in this area should a student need referral.

    What kinds of health-related things should a residential student bring?

    One helpful thing to have on hand is a thermometer. For students who use over-the-counter medications, having acetaminophen (Tylenol) or ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) for pain, aches and fever is a good idea. Also, include some band aids, cold/hot pack or compress and other first aid items. (Each residence hall usually has a limited supply of first-aid items in the lobby office. SHS also dispenses limited amounts of these items to ill students during their visits.)

    Can health forms be turned in during Parent Orientation?

    Yes, if the form has been completed. A SHS representative will be available to take the forms during the last segment of the Parent Orientation Program-the Parent/Faculty & Staff Social in the Student Center Café between 3:30 and 4:00 p.m.

  • When will new students get housing and roommate assignments?

    Roommate assignment letters will be emailed to the student's Eastern email account in mid-July.

    What can I do to change my hall and/or room/roommate assignment?

    Students can email Mark Connolly ( after August 1st to be added to a waiting list for hall openings. Students must email from their Eastern account and must include their hall choice. Every effort will be made to accommodate requests, but please realize that a change may not be possible, as Housing will be at capacity for the fall semester. If a change is granted at any time prior to August 28th, the student will be emailed. After August 28th, there is a room freeze until Mid September. At that time, students may contact the Hall Director of the hall they wish to move to and ask to be placed on a waiting list for that hall.

    What should a student do if he or she has a problem with a roommate?

    First and foremost, students should always communicate any issues with their roommates at the beginning of the semester. Clear, open lines of communication are key to having a successful roommate experience. Students should discuss the issue with each other first, and if no resolution can be made, the students can work with their Resident Assistant (RA), a trained student assistant who lives with students, to assist students in reaching a roommate agreement. Each residence hall is supervised by a Hall Director, a full-time, professional staff member trained in conflict resolution. Additional information about the Office of Housing and Residential Life is available at

    Are telephones provided? How do students pay for long distance calls?

    Telephones are not provided, but there is an active telephone jack in each residence hall room with voicemail provided by the University. Students may make local and on-campus calls for free; however, long distance calls must be made with a telephone calling card or a cellular phone.

    Can students have microwaves and refrigerators?

    All students are permitted to bring a refrigerator, no more than 4.4 cubic feet. Residents of Mead Hall are permitted to have one microwave per suite, to be located in the common room. Burnap, Burr, Constitution, Crandall and Winthrop are not permitted to have microwaves. These residence halls have microwaves available to residents.

    Do students have cable in their rooms?

    Cable is provided by the University in student rooms. Service is provided through Charter Communications and includes expanded basic service with HBO.

    What types of things are not allowed in the halls?

    Students may not have the following items in the halls (this is not a complete list): Candles, incense, tart burners, wax warmers, drugs and drug paraphernalia, alcohol and all alcohol containers, duct tape, extension cords (only UL approved power strips permitted), halogen lamps, octopus lights with plastic shades, hot plates/pots, and space heaters. (For a complete list please see the Housing Handbook). Smoking is allowed outside of the buildings, 40 feet from any entrance. Air conditioners are not permitted to be installed in any residence hall. Students may not modify or remove any of the provided University furniture. All furniture must remain in the room/suite in its original condition.

    What types of things should students bring?

    Twin, extra-long bed sheets, mattress pad/cover, phone, laundry supplies (laundry facilities are located in each hall), shower supplies, toilet paper (Mead and Constitution Halls), alarm clock, cleaning supplies, and fans.

    What is the alcohol policy in the residence halls?

    Alcohol is not permitted in the residence halls at any time, regardless of a student's age. Students who violate this policy will be charged with a violation of the Student Code of Conduct and if found responsible, will be subject to sanctions, including possible removal from on-campus housing. 

  • Should students bring a computer with them to the residence hall?

    Some students prefer to bring their own laptop or desktop computers. The Center for Instructional Technology's hardware and software recommendations are available in the handout, "Buying or Bringing a Computer to Campus?" Additional information is available on the "Passport to Technology" (PDF) website at Questions may be referred to Kevin Gill in the Center for Instructional Technology at (860) 465-5793 or Computer labs are available in the library, Webb Hall, and many of the residence halls for those students who do not bring personal computers to campus.

  • Are on-campus jobs available for students?

    Yes, on-campus jobs are available through Student Employment. Jobs are posted on the website at Most positions are for up to 12 hours per week while classes are in session.

  • How safe is the campus?

    The Eastern Connecticut State University campus is a safe place. However, students should take the same safety precautions they would take at home: lock cars and residence hall rooms, secure personal items, and walk with others when out at night. Eastern Connecticut State University's Uniform Campus Crime Report, which provides information about crimes on campus and in the Willimantic area, is available at

    Are resident students allowed to have cars on campus?

    Upper class students are permitted to have a car on campus. Parking permits are available at the University Police station at the High Street entrance to the University. Due to space constraints, first year students are not allowed to have cars on campus.