Skip to Main Site Navigation Skip to Content Skip to Footer
Back To Top

A Guide for Parents

Welcome, Parents, Friends, and Loved Ones!

Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) considers you to be an important part of our student's well-being and success at Eastern. As loved ones, it can be difficult to know when to get involved and when to maintain your distance. CAPS is available to help your son or daughter (or family member) with any personal concerns or challenges related to student life. CAPS is aware that running into challenges is common in college and there is no problem or issue that is "too small" to discuss. Our staff includes licensed professionals (i.e. psychologist, licensed professional counselor and social worker) with expertise in college mental health issues.

All matriculated Eastern Connecticut State University students are eligible for counseling and medication management services free of charge. CAPS offers a variety of services including individual and group counseling, medication management services, crisis intervention, and outreach and consultation with faculty, staff, and family members.

To become more acquainted with our services, please visit the "Counseling Service" link in our web page.

Confidentiality. If your loved one is already working with us, please know that CAPS adheres to Connecticut's confidentiality laws and the ethical standards of their respective professions that do not permit us to disclose information about our clients without their written permission (with the exception of mandated reporting laws).

If you wish to consult with someone about Eastern's Counseling Services please call (860) 465-0181 and we can arrange for someone to call you back.

Signs That Your Loved One May Need Services

    • Excessive absences from classes
    • Decline in academic performance and/or academic probation
    • Poor concentration or low motivation in classes
    • Contemplation of dropping out of school, worrying about academic failure, or considering transferring to another school
    • Difficulties selecting a major
    • Noticeable changes in physical appearance or hygiene
    • Unusual or exaggerated emotional responses
    • Recent increase or decrease in weight
    • Complaints of tension headaches, sleep disturbance, stomach distress, etc.
    • Changes in mood, motor activity, or behavior
    • Irritability and bouts of crying
    • Drinking (or drug use) that appears to be impacting overall functioning
    • Alluding to suicide or life being “over”
    • Coming home every weekend
    • Relationship issues
    • Withdrawal from family, friends or loved ones
    • Tearfulness or intense emotions
decorative edge

If you have any of these concerns, we encourage you to contact CAPS for a consultation at (860) 465-0181

decorative edge

Important Offices and Telephone Number

Become aware of campus supports before a crisis arises. Below you will find a listing of important offices on campus that can also assist with your son’s or daughter’s needs on campus.

Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs 

Office of Public Safety
860-465-0242 (Confidential Hot Line)

Office of Health Services

Office of AccessAbility Services

Office of Housing and Residential Life

Office of Financial Aid

Web sites and Suggested Readings

Suggested Readings

  • The Coddling of the American Mind, by Jonathan Haidt & Greg Lukianoff (2018)
  • College of the Overwhelmed: The Campus Mental Health Crisis and What to Do About It, by Richard Kadison, M.D. & Theresa Foy DiGeronimo (2004)
  • Letting Go: A Parent’s Guide to Understanding the College Years, by Karen Levin Coburn and Madge Lawrence Treeger (Harper, 2003)
  • Don’t Tell Me What to Do, Just Send Money: The Essential Parenting Guide to the College Years, by Helen E. Johnson & Christine Schelhas-Miller (St. Martin’s Press, 2000)
  • When Your Kid Goes to College: A Parent’s Survival Guide, by Carol Barkin (1999)