Skip to Main Site Navigation Skip to Content Skip to Footer
Back To Top

What can I do if an incident occurs?

If you've been assaulted recently, here are some steps you can take immediately:

Go to a safe place.
Go to a friend’s room, an RA’s room, or any open offices on campus that you feel comfortable in.

Contact someone you can trust.
A friend, a family member, or a victim advocate are good resources to call. You do not have to go through this alone. In addition to the campus SAIV-RT Members, there are 24-hour hotlines available for support. Victim Advocates from the Sexual Assault Crisis Center of Eastern Connecticut can be reached at 888-999-5545. Victim Advocates from the United Services Domestic Violence Program can be reached at 860-456-9476.

Preserve evidence.
If you think you might want to report the crime to the police, do not shower, douche, eat, brush your teeth, or wash your clothes. If the incident involves any written or electronic evidence such as pictures, texts, emails, social media posts, or videos, try to preserve copies.

Seek medical attention as soon as possible.
You do not need to make a formal report to the University or press charges to receive medical attention and treatment. You will have options for prevention of pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections.

Receive a forensic exam.
If you are unsure about whether you want to report the crime to the University or the police, that is okay. You can still have evidence collected at the local hospital, and then decide about reporting at a later date.


Health Services | 185 Birch St. Willimantic, CT 06226
Phone: 860-465-5263
Hours: Monday-Friday 9am-4pm; Closed daily 1-2pm


Windham Hospital Emergency Department | 112 Mansfield Ave. Windham, CT 06226
Phone: 860-456-9116
Open 24/7