Skip to Main Site Navigation Skip to Content Skip to Footer
Back To Top

Psychiatric Disorder

My disability is Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Major Depressive Disorder, or another psychological diagnosis. What documentation is needed?

Please have your current mental health provider (counselor, therapist, psychiatrist, psychologist) submit a detailed letter or a Documentation of Disability Form, which can be found on the OAS website, under "Forms & Resources."

Additional Guidelines:

  • Documentation should include a specific, current psychiatric diagnosis as per the DSM-5 which indicates the nature, frequency, and severity of the symptoms upon which the diagnosis was predicted.
  • Documentation should indicate how the diagnosis substantially limits major life activities and how these limitations would impact the individual's ability to function in a college environment.
  • Documentation should include recommendations for how the effects of the diagnosis may be accommodated along with the rationale for each accommodation.
  • Documentation must be on letterhead, typed, dated, and signed, including the name, title, and professional credentials of the appropriate mental health provider.
  • Documentation should be updated every 6 months.