Skip to Main Site Navigation Skip to Content Skip to Footer
Back To Top

International Students

  • The Graduate Division encourages interested students to complete the admission process. The following reflects the minimum requirements necessary for admission to the Graduate Division. Please note the Accounting program is fully online and the Organizational Management program is transitioning to an online format. This may impact student visa eligibility.

    • Applicants applying for admission to a graduate program leading to a master’s of science degree must have earned at bachelor’s degree from an approved/accredited institution.
    • Applicants must demonstrate appropriate academic background for the program in which graduate study will be done. The minimum undergraduate cumulative grade point average necessary for admission into a master’s degree program is 3.0 based on a 4.0 scale.
    • Specific graduate programs may have higher admission standards or stipulate that additional requirements be met. Applicants are encouraged to contact the Dean of the Graduate Division for detailed information.

    To apply for admission to a graduate program at Eastern Connecticut State University, please submit the following:

    1. A completed application for admission. Apply Online
    2. $50 non-refundable application fee
    3. Official college transcript(s) from all previously-attended colleges/universities. International students must submit an official undergraduate transcript to a transcript evaluation organization that has membership to the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). A document-by-document evaluation report to prove completion of a Bachelor’s degree should be submitted from one of the member organizations.
    4. Contact information for individuals serving as references who will receive a secure link to recommendation surveys (2-3 depending on program of study).
    5. Personal statement – up to 500 words explaining your educational philosophy and professional goals. Personal statements can be submitted via email to
    6. Proof of English language ability by having earned a score of at least 550 (paper-based) or 79 (iBT) or 213 (computer-based) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)  6 (IELTS), or a score of at least 53 on the Pearson PTE.
    7. Official document of financial support demonstrating a minimum of $45,000 (USD) in available funds for I-20, not needed for online programs which do not support an I-20.

    Submit admission requirements to:
    Eastern Connecticut State University
    Graduate Division – Webb Hall 160
    83 Windham Street
    Willimantic, CT 06226

    Please contact us at (860) 465-5264 or via email at Admissions’ fax number is (860) 465-4538.

    Eastern Connecticut State University admits students of any age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, or non disqualifying handicap to all the rights, privileges, programs and activity generally accorded or made available to students at the University.

  • Applying for a U.S. Visa

    • You can apply for the visa through the U.S. Embassy in your home country
    • Depending on the agreement with the US and your home country, you will likely need these documents to apply
      • Letter of acceptance
      • Proof of financial status
      • Form I-20 or DS-2019

    Renewing Your Visa

    • Follow the same process that you used to apply for the visa initially.
    • Include a copy of your school transcript with the documents in the “Applying for a U.S. Visa” category.

    Expired Visa

    • Applying for a new visa takes several weeks, so you need to plan your travel date accordingly.
    • If your visa has expired, you can leave US, but you will need to obtain a new visa before coming back. You can remain in the US with an expired visa as long as your Form I-20 or DS-2019 is valid.

    Visa Categories at Eastern Connecticut State University

    • F-1 Student
    • J-1 student

    Immigration Status

    • Your immigration status determined how long and under what conditions you are allowed to stay in the US. Your immigration documents determine this status (e.g. F-1, J-1, H-4)
    • International Students must always obtain an I-94 card that correctly shows their status in the United States. Remember to bring the updated copy of your Form I-94 to the International Student Office every time you return to the US.
    • Please note that you can stay in the US as long as your immigration document (Form I-20 or DS-2019) hasn’t expired.

    Travel Outside the United States

    International Students may be required to apply for a visa in order to enter a foreign country they are planning to travel to. Check the visa requirements on the country’s consulate website.

    Traveling Within the U.S.

    International Students can travel within the United States with their passports. Please always travel with your Form I-20 and other immigration forms.

    International Students do not need a visa to travel to:

    • Puerto Rico
    • Hawaii
    • Guam
    • Virgin Islands

    For more information, see the following US Government websites:

  • Immunizations 
    Connecticut state law requirements regarding measles (rubeola), German measles (rubella), mumps and chickenpox are strictly enforced. Students who do not submit these records will NOT be allowed to register.

    • All part time and graduate students must submit proof of measles (rubeola), German measles (rubella), mumps immunizations as outlined in the full time section above. Please note: If you graduated from a Connecticut high school in 1999 or later, you are exempt from this requirement and DO NOT need to show proof of measles, mumps or G. measles vaccines.
    • Also, starting in the fall of 2010, CT state law requires that all graduate students, born after January 1, 1980, must provide evidence of immunity against chickenpox (varicella) either by showing proof of two doses of the varicella vaccine or documentation from your health care provider stating that you had chickenpox disease.
    • If you are unable to prove that you had chickenpox or you cannot locate any of your immunization records, you can get a blood test to determine if you are immune to any or all of these diseases.

    Physical Examination – Unlike full time undergraduate students, graduate students do not need a physical exam or a health care provider’s signature certifying that you have been examined.

    Tuberculosis Screening  ALL graduate students, regardless of age, must complete a Tuberculosis Risk Assessment, which can be found on the required health form for part time students.

    Please note: if you will be living in the university residential halls, you must provide evidence of having been vaccinated for meningitis.

    For additional information, please contact Health Services.

decorative edge

Priority Deadlines:

We strongly encourage completed applications to be submitted before the priority deadline for graduate admissions. The Graduate Division will do its best to process applications received after the priority deadline in time for registration.

Fall Semester – July 6th
Spring Semester – November 3rd
Summer Semester – April 5th

Plan of Study and other forms can be found at “Other Forms”.

Please note that the forms require Adobe Reader.

decorative edge