Skip to Main Site Navigation Skip to Content Skip to Footer
Back To Top

Early College Experiences

decorative edge


Eastern Connecticut State University's Early College Experiences include two prominent programs offering opportunities for high school students to gain early exposure to higher education.

Through our Dual Credit programs, students are able to earn college credits via concurrent course offerings run onsite at their high schools.

Through our Pre-College Summer programs, students are able to live on campus and experience university life while engaging in non-credit academic topics with our full-time faculty over the course of a full week experience. 

If you're a representative of a Connecticut high school and are interested in partnering with Eastern in offering Dual Credit courses, you can schedule a meeting with our Coordinator, Chris Drewry.

If you're a student or parent interested in learning more about Pre-College Summer programming, you can schedule an online meeting with our staff.

We look forward to working with you!

  • After an agreement is in place between Eastern and a partnering school or school district, approved high school teachers, under the supervision of an Eastern academic department, deliver Eastern courses at their high school.

    Step 1:

    If your school has never offered an Eastern Dual Enrollment course before, counselors should connect with Eastern’s Dual Enrollment team to start the process. Reach out at

    Step 2:

    Interested teachers: view application requirements and submit application materials

    Eastern courses taught at partnering schools are identical to the courses taught on Eastern’s campus. Courses must be either 100-level or 200-level to be considered for approval. High school teachers delivering these courses must meet the qualifications and requirements set for Eastern Connecticut State University adjunct faculty members.

    Applicants must have a master’s degree in the discipline in which they are applying to teach. The appropriate academic department will determine whether applicants meet the qualifications to teach Eastern course(s) as Dual Enrollment instructors.

    Step 3:

    Once officially approved, start teaching! Remember to stay in touch - Instructors will be required to check in with the supervising department, verify class rosters, and submit final grades.

    Important Notes

    • Instructors applying to teach a Dual Enrollment course in the Spring semester must submit all application materials no later than September 30.
    • Instructors applying to teach a Dual Enrollment course in the Fall semester must submit all application materials no later than March 15.
    • Dual Enrollment instructors may not begin teaching Eastern courses at their high school until their credentials and application have been officially approved by the university.

    Dual Enrollment instructors are expected to participate in faculty development as determined by the supervising department and will be evaluated according to the supervising department’s procedures for adjunct faculty members. Reappointment will be determined by the supervising department.

  • Interested in earning college credits while still in high school? Dual Enrollment courses offered through Eastern Connecticut State University could be a great opportunity! Contact your Guidance Counselor for more information, and to see if your high school is a partnering school.

    Frequently Asked Questions:

    • What’s a Dual Enrollment course?
      • Dual Enrollment courses are Eastern courses offered by teachers at your high school. If your school is one of Eastern’s partnering schools, your teachers can apply to teach Eastern courses. Then, students (like you!) can register for these courses and earn college credits. 
    • Who can participate in Dual Enrollment?
      • Juniors and Seniors are eligible to take courses through Eastern’s Dual Enrollment program.
    • How much does it cost?
      • Dual Enrollment courses cost $25 per credit. Most courses are 3 or 4 credits ($75 or $100). Please contact your Guidance Counselor for more information. 
    • Which colleges and universities accept Dual Enrollment credits?
      • Dual Enrollment courses will be recorded on an official Eastern transcript. These credit(s) may be used to satisfy requirements at Eastern. If you plan to attend another institution, please check with that school’s Admissions Office for transfer credit policies to determine the transferability of Eastern credits towards their degree requirements.
    • What grade do I need to earn to earn college credit?
      • To receive credit for a Dual Enrollment course, you must receive a “C” or higher. Anything under a “C” will not be considered as a passing grade, and no credits will be earned. 

Want to learn more? Contact us at: