Take Back the Night: A Reflection

Post Contributor: Ami Jallow
Personally, Take Back the Night was one of my favorite events of this semester. It was an event that allowed us to be open and vulnerable to complete strangers. It was very inspirational how we were all able to connect because we had either gone through, or knew someone that had gone through, some kind of abuse. I appreciated this event because it allowed a very different outlet for me to share my personal experiences. Take Back the Night reminded me why I wanted to work and be associated with the Women’s Center in the first place. We are here to provide a safe space, a haven on campus, for anyone from all walks of life to be comfortable enough to share their past, present and futures. I, personally, want to thank everyone that attended. It takes a lot to confide in people we have never met before. I want to thank you all for giving me an opportunity to heal further. God bless.

If you, or someone you know, have experienced sexual assault, stalking, or other forms of interpersonal violence such as dating and domestic violence, we encourage you to seek out supportive services. Eastern has a Sexual Assault & Interpersonal Violence Response Team (SAIV-RT) available to give guidance, support, and information. If you would like to learn more, we encourage you to visit www.easternct.edu/saiv or speak with the Coordinator of the SAIV-RT, Starsheemar Byrum at byrums@easternct.edu or (860) 465-4314.