Software and Hardware Recommendations
Digital Art and Design
Digital Art and Design (DAD) students may want to purchase Adobe Creative Suite 6 Design Premium. This software package is basic for the digital art & design program and includes:
- Adobe InDesign® CS6
- Adobe Photoshop® CS6
- Adobe Illustrator® CS6
- Adobe Dreamweaver® CS6
- Adobe Flash® Professional CS6
- Adobe Acrobat X Pro
- Adobe Flash Catalyst® CS6
- Adobe Fireworks® CS6
- Adobe Bridge® CS6
- Adobe Device Central CS6For information on Adobe products go to http://www.adobe.com. You can also go to Adobe’s Education Storefor student discounts.JourneyEd at http://www.journeyed.com/home.asp is an alternative source for student discounts on Adobe products and other software.
Students may want to consider Apple’s iLife ’11 software package. Consult with your Digital Art & Design faculty member. The software package includes:
- iPhoto ’11
- iMovie ’11
- GarageBand ’11
- iDVDFor information on Apple products and student discounts go to Eastern’s Apple Store. You can also go to Apple’s main online store at http://store.apple.com and look under “Education Store” for student discounts.
Students taking any video editing courses may want to purchase the following programs.
- Apple Final Cut
- Adobe After EffectsFor information on Apple products and student discounts go to Eastern’s Apple Store. You can also go to Apple’s main online store at http://store.apple.comand look under “Education Store” for student discounts.For information on Adobe products go to http://www.adobe.com. You can also go to Adobe’s Education Store or JourneyEd at http://www.journeyed.com/home.asp for student discounts.
Students taking 3D Animation courses should consult with their Digital Art & Design faculty member for software recommendations. The Digital Art & Design program is currently using:
- Maxon’s Cinema 4D
For information on Cinema 4D go to http://www.maxon.net.
Students should also consider obtaining Microsoft Office 2011 for the Macintosh. The software package includes:
- Microsoft Word 2011
- Microsoft PowerPoint 2011
- Microsoft Excel 2011
- Microsoft Outlook 2011
Microsoft Office 2011 for the Macintosh is available to all full and part-time Eastern Connecticut State University students. Student ID is required. Visit Web Hall, Room 410 to pick up a copy for $7.00, payable only with your Eastern ExpressCard.
For information on Microsoft products for the Macintosh go to http://www.microsoft.com/mac.
Apple offers a business software package, iWork ’09. The software package includes:
- Numbers ’09
- Pages ’09
- Keynote ’09For information on Apple products and student discounts go to Eastern’s Apple Store. You can also go to Apple’s main online store at http://store.apple.com and look under “Education Store” for student discounts.
The Visual Arts department’s main teaching lab (Davis Lab) is Macintosh-based. Additionally, Macintosh computers are a standard for those working in the creative arts professions. Students may wish to purchase a Macintosh computer to facilitate working on projects.
It is important for students to keep in mind when purchasing a computer that the larger the computer screen the greater the “workspace” and therefore the easier it is to work on projects.
Students need to be sure their computer has the necessary processing power and memory to run design, web, video, and/or animation software and has sufficient hard drive space for file storage.
Software system requirements will be listed on the vendor’s website.
- For information on Adobe products go to
- For information on Apple products go to
- or Apple’s main online store at
Along with the University’s available Z drive space for each student, it is also suggested that students have a USB, Firewire, or other type of portable drive for file backup and for file transportation. There are a number of local and online vendors selling drives.