Click here or hit the Enter key on your keyboard to go to our Text Only Site. Eastern's Mission   Search  
Text Only Version
Eastern's Home Page

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war,

no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional as to how they perceived

the veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their country." -George Washington

Connecticut Tuition Waiver Montgomery GI Bill "New GI Bill" National Guard Tuition Waiver
Specified War Times Deployment U.S. Department of Veterans' Affairs Additional Questions
Eastern in the snow
Eastern students on campus
Eastern's banner
Eastern students on campus
Connecticut Tuition Waiver


  • 90 days active duty during a specified war times
    • Connecticut Tuition Waivers are granted only to those veterans who served “on active duty” and not those who served “on active duty for training.”
  • Be honorably discharged from the U.S. Armed Forces
  • Provide a copy of DD-214 (with specified dates of pertinent time of service)
  • Be a permanent Connecticut Resident when accepted to Eastern
  • Be a matriculated student (officially accepted to the University through the Office of Admissions with an acceptance letter in a degree seeking program).
    • Eligibility ceases upon withdrawal, dismissal, and/or graduation.

What does the Connecticut Tuition Waiver Cover?

  • 100% tuition for General Fund courses
    • full time study, 12 or more credits, for Fall and Spring semesters
  • 50% tuition for Extension Fund courses
    • Summer (and Intercession) courses

What the Connecticut Tuition Waiver DOES NOT cover:

  • Various fees that are charged to the student
    • Student is responsible for other charges such as books, student activity, parking, course fees, and room and board.


Specified War Times
  1. Active duty for at least 90 days during:
    • Korean Hostilities – June 27, 1950 to January 31, 1955
    • Vietnam – December 22, 1961 to July, 1975 (any child of a Vietnam era veteran who has been declared a MIA/POW also is eligible, provided the parent entered service after January 1, 1960).
    • Operation Desert Shield and Desert Storm – August 2, 1990 to Present.
    • Operation Iraqi Freedom – Members of a military Reserve or National Guard unit who have either been called to active duty or expect to be called to active duty in support of Operation Enduring Freedom, Operation Iraqi Freedom, and Operation Noble Eagle should contact the Office of Veterans Affairs. This includes members of the Connecticut National Guard called to active duty.
  1. Engaged in Combat or in a combat supported role in the:
    • Peace Keeping Mission in Lebanon – September 29, 1982 to March 30, 1984.
    • Grenada Invasion – October 25, 1983.
    • Operation Earnest Will (escort of Kuwaiti oil tankers) – February 1, 1987 to July 23, 1987.
    • Panama Invasion – December 20, 1989 to January 31, 1990.
  1. Active Duty for service in the locations of:
    • South Korea – demilitarized zone after February 1, 1955.
    • Somalia – After December 2, 1992.
    • Bosnia – After December 20, 1995.

Students who are being deployed should contact the Veterans' Services Office as soon as possible at (860) 465-4434 with a copy of deployment orders. A “Leave of Absence” without penalty will be processed.

Montgomery GI Bill

If you have enrolled in the Montgomery GI Bill Chapter 30 Educational Benefits Plan while on active duty or are eligible for Chapter 1606 (National Guard or Reserves) please see commonly asked questions listed below:

  1. When can I start my benefits?

You may receive MGIB benefits once you have been officially accepted into a degree-seeking program (matriculated).

  1. I want to use MGIB, what do I do now?
    • After receiving an acceptance letter stop by or call the Veterans’ Services Office at (860) 465-5205.
    • If you have used your benefits, you must submit a “Request for Change Program or Place Training” form (VA form 22-1995).
    • If you have NEVER used your benefits before you must submit an “Application for Education Benefits” (VA form 22-1990) along with your DD-214 and/or your “Notice of Basic Eligibility” (DD form 2384, if a National Guardsmen).
    • The Veterans’ Services Office will then complete an “Enrollment Certification (VA form 22-1999) to verify how many credits you are taking and will forward all the necessary paperwork to the regional Veterans’ Affairs Office for processing which will take about six weeks.
  1. Where do MGIB checks go?

The MCIB benefits checks are automatically deposited into a checking account or savings account. You cannot receive National Guard chapter 1606 MGIB benefits if you are not actively serving a guard unit. Guard Tuition Waiver request forms and paperwork are available at your unit. Tuition Assistant paperwork (which pays 75% of courses) is also available at your unit. Both Guard Tuition Waiver & Tuition Assistance is handled by the Cashiers Office at Eastern Connecticut State University. Guard Tuition Waivers go directly to the Bursars Office from the National Guard Units.

New GI Bill

The Post 9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008 or “New GI Bill” has been enacted into law. The following links will provide you will additional information regarding changes in the new bill:

National Guard Tuition Waiver

For students who are in The National Guard, Guard tuition waivers (100%) are granted only to full-time students attending the Connecticut State University System. No fees are waived. Part-time students in the National Guard do not qualify for waivers. Guard tuition waivers go directly to the Bursars Office from the National Guard Units. Out-of-state students who enroll in the Connecticut National Guard also receive this waiver.

Additional Questions

Any additional questions can be directed toward the Office of Veterans’ Services or by contacting the U.S. Department of Veterans’ Affairs.