Community Resilience Building Workshop
When: March 21, 2017
Time: 9:00am – 1:00pm (Registration will begin at 8:30am)
Where: Student Center Theater, Eastern Connecticut State University
This workshop addressed community resilience and a changing climate through coordination between the Town of Windham and Eastern Connecticut State University. Refreshments and lunch were provided.
• A PDF was created regarding the Town of Windham’s summary of findings on community resilience.
The Nature Conservancy partnered with Eastern, the Town of Windham, and Second Nature to offer this timely workshop which brought together community members to comprehensively identify and prioritize steps to reduce risks and improve resilience across Windham. This workshop was designed to help clarify and advance comprehensive community resilience planning and hazard mitigation efforts.
• A webinar was also provided, in collaboration with Second Nature, regarding the advancement of a communities resilience.
The workshop objectives are as follows:
• Understand connections between natural hazards and local planning/mitigation efforts.
• Evaluate strengths and vulnerabilities of residents, infrastructure, and natural resources.
• Develop and prioritize actions for the municipality, the university, local organizations, businesses, private citizens, neighborhoods, and community groups.
• Identify immediate opportunities to advance actions that reduce the impact of hazards and increase resilience in Windham, including on Eastern’s campus.