Climate Leadership Commitment
In September 2007, President Elsa Núñez signed the American College and University Presidents’ Climate Commitment, pledging the university to carbon neutrality. In support of this commitment, Eastern has completed the following:
- Eastern Connecticut State University Climate Action Plan, December 2009.
- Silver rating recognition through the Sustainability Tracking, Assessment & Rating System (STARS) – view Eastern’s November 2012 STARS Rating.
- Inaugural signatory to the new Climate Commitment, integrating carbon neutrality with climate resilience – view October 2015 press release.
- “American Campuses Act on Climate Pledge,” signed in November 2015. View press release and Eastern’s pledge.
- Renewed STARS Silver Rating in January 2016.
- Eastern’s adoption of a Campus Resilience Plan.
STARS Silver Rating renewed in 2016 by the
Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE)