Event Planning – Clubs

Event Planning

Organization Listing | Event Planning | Forms & Policies | Funding | Training Resources Club Sports

Student Activities offers advising and support for students and student organizations wishing to plan events on or off campus. Please contact Josh Sumrell (sumrellj@easternct.edu) for assistance.

Event Planning Checklist

Requesting Space

To reserve space on campus, complete the new Online Facilities Request Form through EMS. Instructions for filling out the form can be found here. Diagrams for various spaces with different setups can be found here. If you are planning an event in the Student Center and need Tech Setup, complete the Tech Crew Set-Up Form.

Event Request

Submit an Event Request at least 2 weeks prior to your event. You will receive an email confirming approval or denial of your event.


To purchase food from Chartwells “The Gathering” menu, submit a voucher, quote from Catering, and minutes to Student Activities before the event. To purchase food from off-campus vendors, you must complete a Purchase Requisition Form and hand it in the Student Activities with minutes from your organization. A limit of $150 can be spent with off campus vendors, unless you have prior approval from Chartwells.


Prior to your event, you should make a plan for what you will need to purchase, and get approval from the organization. You can then use the following steps to purchase goods.

Purchasing Card (P-Card): The easiest way to purchase goods is with the P-Card. Simply view the availability of this card here, then fill out this online survey to reserve the P-card. You will need to submit a Voucher with minutes to the Student Activities office when you pick up the card, and return it with a receipt. The P-Card can be reserved any time between 8am and 5pm Monday – Friday and you check the availability of the card on our google calendar. Remember, tax is not paid when using the P-Card.

Purchase Order: Many businesses allow you to purchase goods without sending payment until after the goods are received. This provides more protection for your organization as the Purchasing Department will not send payment unless the goods were received and you are happy with your purchase. If the vendor accepts purchase orders, submit an official quote from the business, a Purchase Requisition Form, and minutes to the Student Activities Office at least 1 week in advance.

Cash Advance: If you are purchasing goods from several vendors, you have the option of getting a cash advance. Submit a Voucher and minutes to the Student Activities office at least 2 weeks in advance. A check will then be cut in your name (Max $300).

Card Reader

You must submit this form at least 3 business days before your event. You will only be approved for the request if the sale of the item is more than $5 or is a large scale event where you expect significant amount of people in attendance. If your event does not meet this criteria, your request will not be approved.


When hiring a business for services (DJ, speaker, etc.) a Personal Services Agreement must be completed along with a non-discrimination form and a W-9. Please set up a meeting with a student activities staff member before completing this process. Please note that this paperwork can take up to 2 weeks to process so please plan accordingly.

Event Request

 Submit an Event Request at least 2 weeks prior to your event. You will receive an email confirming approval or denial of your event.

Travel Authorization Form

A TA (Travel Authorization Form) is required by all student organizations when traveling as an organization activity, whether it is in state or out of state, even if there are no expenses incurred. When a student organization is going out of state or when staying overnight on an in state trip, an advisor must accompany the group.

Please see our Travel Packet for detailed instructions on completing a TA.

Attached to the form, there must be a roster of all the individuals traveling and itineraries and/or schedules, which provide the necessary detail for each vendor. All expenses for your travel will be paid by using the Travel Authorization (TA). These expenses have been broken down into several areas below.If you are receiving a cash advance for your trip, the form must be submitted 2 weeks prior to the event, exceptions will not be made.

Please attach all additional documents (if applicable) to the TA and submit to the Student Activities office at least 2 weeks in advance.

Flights: All flights must be reserved through Sanditz Travel Agency (1-800-858-4456). When calling for quotes, let them know it is for Eastern business. They allow you to hold a reservation for 24 hours without actually booking the flight. Be sure to have the correct names (as it appears on state ID) as well as the date of birth for everyone traveling.

Hotel: If you are booking a hotel for your trip, obtain an official quote as well as a W-9 from the hotel. The university has the ability to hold rooms on the university purchasing card if you don’t feel comfortable doing so with your personal card.

Food: All money for food when traveling can either be paid by way of a check cut directly to the vendor or a check cut to the name is on the TA.

Registration: If there are registration fees associated with your trip, obtain a quote from the vendor as well as their W-9 and attach it to the Travel Authorization form.

All Other Expenses: Any other expenses that you will incur during travel can be put into the “other” portion of the Travel Authorization form.


After attaching all documents to the TA and an advisor signature, submit to the office of student activities.

Van Request

If a University Van is required for your travel, you can make a van reservation when you submit your event request through eWeb, instructions can be found here. Please note, a TA must be submitted before a van request can be processed. Any drivers for the state vehicles must also complete safe driver training and submit the safe driver contract. More information can be found here.