Note the 2 options for viewing eBooks from the EBSCO collection below
If you would like other eBook options besides Ebsco click here for a few more: Other eBook options
1) Search for eBooks and use the eBook viewer - Select "eBook Full Text"
Video on Searching and using the eBook viewer
- Please view the above short video to learn about searching and viewing the full text of an eBook
- Be sure you have Adobe Reader to view the PDF Full Text files (This is already installed on campus computers)
- After you find your book, select "eBook Full Text" or you can just look at the "Table of Contents"
- After selecting Full Text you can read the book using the Ebsco eBook Viewer. Skip to the next page using the arrow after the word GO, type a page number and select GO, or use the arrow slider.
- You will be able to view the book only during one session
- The reading session will automatically be closed after 30 minutes of non use
2) Download onto your computer - Select "Download (Offline)"
You willl need Adobe Digital Editions to download the eBook content onto your computer. Downloading allows you to view and check out an eBook for an extended period of time and to log in to read the book during the time selected for check out. Also, if you plan to transfer an eBook to a portable reading device you will need to download to your computer first.
Adobe Digital Editions software is not available on student workstation computers (Use option 1 above to view the full text of an eBook while on student workstations). If off-campus or using your personal laptop or personal computer, there is a link below to the free download and instructions for use. Faculty and staff of ECSU should contact the IT Help Desk for permission to install Adobe Digital Editions on their workstations.
- First, create a personal My EBSCOhost folder account. Click the "Sign In" link at the top of any EBSCO database page. Select "Create a new account". Fill out the short form and you will have your own personal folder in all EBSCO databases. Just sign in each time you want to use the special features or check out your eBook
- You will need Adobe Digital Editions 1.7.1 or higher to download the eBook content
- Select the "Download (Offline)" option to check out the eBook and read right away or at a later time
- Select a Checkout period from the drop-down menu and click the "Checkout & Download" button.
The eBook is added to the Checkout area of the EBSCOhost folder, accessible from the upper-right corner of the EBSCOhost interface. If you are not logged into your My EBSCOhost folder, you will be prompted to do so.
- Your eBook will be in your personal My EBSCOhost folder whenever you want to read it during your checkout duration and accessible from Adobe Digital Editions on your computer.
- Transferring to a portable reading device:
Note: If you try to view the full text of an eBook and you get the message "Sorry this eBook is in use" this means that someone else is viewing it or has checked it out.