How to Help a Student

How to Help a Student

The initial reactions of responders can play a key role in the victim’s perception
of the event and the likelihood that they will stay involved in the university system.
How to Help a Friend | How to Help a Student | How to Help a Family Member

As a faculty member, staff member, or student employee, you may be the first point of contact for a victim of sexual assault, stalking, or other form of interpersonal violence. You may also become aware of an incident from a source other than the victim. Please note that Eastern Connecticut State University and its employees are subject to University Regulations and various state and federal reporting laws. In short, it’s important that you report crimes of interpersonal violence to a Sexual Assault and Interpersonal Violence Response Team (SAIV-RT) Member immediately. If you have questions about your role in reporting an incident, please contact the SAIV-RT Coordinator, Starsheemar Byrum.

Support for Victim-Survivors

Reporting Sexual Assault
Determine if the victim requires medical assistance. In emergencies, call 911.
For sexual assaults occurring within 72 hours of you learning about the incident, you can refer the student to the Sexual Assault Crisis Center of Eastern Connecticut at 860-456-2789. All contact with the Crisis Center is confidential. Contact a member of the Sexual Assault & Interpersonal Violence Response Team.

Make a Referral
Provide the victim-survivor with information about options and resources. You may do this by referring to the SAIV-RT website and the on-campus resources.

What You Can Say to the Victim/Survivor

  • “I am here to listen and support you, but it would also be helpful for you to talk with someone who has specialized knowledge in this area”
  • “There are places that you can go anonymously to get information or support.”
  • “Even if you don’t know what you want to do right now, it can be helpful to talk to someone about your options.”
  • “I would be happy to go with you to talk to someone.”
  • “What would make it feel safe for you to go talk to someone?”

On Campus Support and Advocacy Options
Refer the victim to the Coordinator of the SAIV-RT. This victim advocate can explain options relating to reporting, student conduct, resources, and housing accommodations, and can assist them in the decision-making process. The advocate is committed to maintaining the confidentiality of victims to the extent allowed by law.

The Women’s Center
Starsheemar Byrum, Director of the Women’s Center, Coordinator of the SAIV-RT
Location: Student Center, Room 116
Phone: 860-465-4314

A small number of university employees have what is called “privilege,” meaning that communications cannot legally be disclosed without the reporter’s consent, except in certain circumstances such as the threat of imminent danger to one’s self or others. At Eastern, examples of privileged communication resources include:

Counseling & Psychological Services
Dr. Anne Patti, Interim Director of Counseling and Psychological Services
Location: CAPS Building, 192 High Street, Room 110
Phone: 860-465-4527
Student Health Services
Jane Neu, Associate Director of Health Services
Location: Health Services Building, 185 Birch Street, Room 102
Phone: 860-465-5263
Interfaith Campus Ministry
Father Larry LaPointe, Catholic Minister
Newman Hall, 290 Prospect Street
Phone: 860-423-0856

*Please note that internet activity can be tracked and stored on the computer system being used. The Escape feature will quickly direct you to another website, but does not remove the history of visiting this site. If you have any concerns, it is recommended that a public computer (such as the library) be used to access this site.