Active Shooter Checklist
Campus Response Checklist
Active Shooter Incident
*FOLLOW EMERGENCY NOTIFICATION DIRECTIONS*
See the Run-Hide-Fight Video
DON’T WASTE TIME IF YOU HEAR WHAT SOUNDS LIKE GUNFIRE
Escape quickly if you can safely do so and encourage other to do the same.
Securing the Area:
- Lock and barricade doors.
- Turn off lights.
- Close blinds.
- Block windows.
- Turn off radios and computer monitors.
- Keep calm, quiet and out of sight.
- Keep yourself out of sight and take adequate cover/protection, i.e. concrete walls, thick desks, filing cabinets (cover may protect you from bullets).
- Silence cell phones.
- Place signs in exterior windows to identify the location of injured persons.
Un-Securing an Area:
- Do NOT un-secure rooms until police authorization.
- Remember, a shooter(s) may not stop until engaged by an outside force.
- Attempts to rescue people should only be attempted if it can be accomplished without further endangering the persons inside a secured area.
- Consider the safety of as many people as possible.
- If in doubt , you should remain secured in your area until proper notification is issued.
- Use Emergency 911
- 860-465-5310 Police (non-emergency line)
- firstname.lastname@example.org (ECSU Police email)
- Be aware that the 911 system will likely be overwhelmed. Program the ECSU Police main line (465-5310) into your cell phone for emergency use or consider e-mail. E-mail may be an option if you are unable to speak.
- E-mail is monitored by police personnel.
What to Report:
- Your specific location – building name and office/room number.
- Number of people at your specific location.
- Injuries- number injured types of injuries.
- Assailant(s)- location, number of suspects, race/gender, clothing description, physical features, type of weapons (long gun or hand gun), backpack, shooter’s identity if known, separate explosions from gunfire, etc.
- Objective is immediately to engage assailant(s).
- Evacuate victims.
- Facilitate follow up medical care, interviews, counseling.
ECSU Police Department May 2016