All teacher certification students must be formally admitted to the program. The Department of Education has established a committee of faculty members, the Committee on Admission and Retention in Education (CARE) which is responsible for this admission process.
For additional information on the CARE process, please contact: Mary-Grace Shifrin (Department of Education) at Shifrinm@easternct.edu
Students interested in teacher preparation must apply to CARE at least one semester prior to enrolling in professional preparation courses and at least one year prior to student teaching. Students must submit application materials by the first week of the Fall semester in order to be admitted to professional preparation courses for the Spring semester and by the first week of the Spring semester in order to be admitted to course for the Fall semester.
- For admission to the Undergraduate Teacher Education Program, students must:* Complete or be in the process of completing EDU 200, EDU 210 and HPE 230 (for the Health and Physical Education Program).
- Have an earned grade point average of 2.7 or higher.
- File a formal application by the required date. Please select Certification Application Link.
- Submit three recommendation forms (by application deadline.)
- Complete and pass PRAXIS I Exam. This is required for formal admittance to a Connecticut teacher preparation programs. PRAXIS I is also a prerequisite for certification, regardless of where one has completed a teacher preparation program. (Note: PRAXIS I exam must be passed a full year before admission so scores are received by CARE before application deadlines. Students are urged to take PRAXIS I early in the sophomore year.) PRAXIS I may be waived if applicant has a total of 1,000 on the SAT, with neither the subtest below 400 points from any test on or prior to March 31, 1995 or 1,100 or more with no less than 450 on either the verbal or the mathematics subtests from test administrations on or after April 1, 1995.
- Complete a personal interview with a team of faculty.
Complete Student Teacher Preference Form and submit to Education Department by the required date. Please select Application to Student Teach Link.
*State Certification Regulations may changes. These changes take precedence over existing requirements.
Information on NCATE accreditation may be obtained at : http://www.ncate.org