Health Education Certification
For Physical Education Majors
The Health Education “cross endorsement” is not possible without first having another Connecticut Teaching Certification.
- Thirty (30) credits of course work appropriate to the field of Health Education. These courses may be taken at Eastern or at other institutions.
- One (1) course containing the concept of group facilitation/group dynamics/group processes. HPE 312 Health Group; PSY 203 Group and Teams or SOC 360 Group Dynamics.
- One (1) course containing the concepts of drug prevention or substance abuse. SWK 344 Substance Abuse or HPE 310 Alcohol & Drugs.
- Other elective courses (approved by Connecticut Department of Education) from the list below.
- Pass PRAXIS II Exam for Health Education.ECSU courses which satisfy the Health Education requirements of the State of Connecticut Department of Education. Courses taken in a major program may also count toward the 30 credits Health Certification Requirement.
(860) 713-6969, Monday through Friday
Press “0” to speak with a person
|HPE||209||Nutrition & Public Health|
|HPE||310||Alcohol & Drugs|
|HPE||312||Health Group Dynamics|
|HPE||328||Applied Anatomy and Physiology|
|HPE||329||Applied Anatomy and Physiology|
|HPE||400||Special Topics in Health|
|HPE||413||Physiology of Exercise|
|HPE||448||Seminar: Teaching Health in Schools|
|Psychology/Sociology Department Courses: most PSY courses have PSY 100 as a prerequisite|
|EDU||200||Child & Adolescent Development and Exceptionalities|
|PSY||203||Groups & Teams (Group Dynamics)|
|PSY||206||Psychology of Childhood|
|PSY||208||Psychology of Adolescence|
|PSY||302||Psychopathology of Childhood|
|PSY||315||Psychology of Gender** (IVA)|
|PSY||320||Theories of Personality|
|SOC||208||Homosexuality and Lesbianism|
|SOC||212||Marriage and the Family|
|SOC||240||Soc of Gender and Sex Role** (IVA)|
|SOC||241||Sex Role Socialization|
|SOC||250||Sociology of Inequality|
|SOC||312||Sociology of Mental Illness|
|SOC||465||Studies in Sociology + (certain Special Topics - see Summer/Intersession offerings)|
|SWK||200||Introduction to Social Services|
|SWK||245||Aging in Society|
|SWK||312||Human Behavior in Social Environment|
|SWK||320||Social Work Individual and Families|
|SWK||325||Social Welfare Policy|
|Biology Department Courses|
|BIO||202||Human Biology** (IIIB)|
|BIO||203||Human Biology Lab** (IIIB)|
|BIO||234||Population Biology w/Lab|
|BIO||304||Genetics and Society**(IIIB)|
|BIO||348||Human Anatomy w/Lab|
|BIO||350||Human Physiology w/Lab|
|* Required Substance Abuse course + required group facilitation/group dynamics course|
|** GER Course|