Students Sample “Real World” Through Summer Internships

From radio stations to baseball stadiums, the efforts of Eastern students to enter the working world were evident this summer. Following are just a few of the students who spent their summer in an internship.

Samantha Honeywell interned at Fox 17 News in Nashville–an opportunity she had due to the efforts of Eastern alumnus Adam Wurtzel (right).

Business Administration major Joshua Lamoureux ’18 interned for The Nutmeg Broadcasting Company, a subsidiary of Hall Communications Radio Group, at the WILI radio station in Willimantic, CT. “I wrote scripts for ads in addition to recording radio voice promotions and advertisements for the AM and FM stations,” he said. “I also attended marketing, research and copywriting tasks.”

Lamoureux’s favorite part of the internship was creating his own recordings and adding personal touches to them, shuch as music selections and sound effects. “The skills I utilized are important because I’m interested in pursuing a career in the same field.”

Samantha Honeywell ’20 is another student who found her place in broadcasting. A Communication major, she was introduced to her internship at Fox 17 News in Nashville, TN, by Eastern alumnus Adam Wurtzel ’07, a reporter on “Nashville Insider” and host of “The Nashouse.”

Honeywell assisted multimedia journalists with reporting, filming and editing news packages. The fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment of the news industry was enlightening to her. “Up until now I’ve been allowed to take my time on video editing projects. But here, there’s a completely different set up.”

Mathematics student Katherine O’Rourke ’19 fulfilled her position as a

Katherine O’Rourke wa a housing operations intern at Drexel University in Philadelphia.

housing operations intern at Drexel University in Philadelphia, PA. Duties included managing work orders, conducting preventative maintenance by patrolling buildings, working with facilities and taking inventories.

“My favorite thing about my summer internship was exploring Philadelphia and working with new acquaintances. I also really enjoyed getting to know how different schools function,” said O’Rourke. “As an aspiring student affairs professional, I think my internship provided me with important experience in terms of the operations side of the field.”

Demitra Kourtzidis ’19, a Political Science and Economics double major, experienced similar professional growth during her time spent at the Office of Policy and Management in Hartford, CT. “Because of my internship, I’ve learned that legislation is its own language, and I can now read and understand it,” she said. “My supervisor taught me about different political strategies and how small steps legislators take eventually end up as part of a bigger plan.”

Kourtzidis helped track legislation from early public hearings through passage in the House and Senate. She also took notes at public hearings and various agency meetings, tracked bills and amendments and attended House and Senate sessions to track bill status.

“My internship allowed me to learn about the behind-the-scenes political process,” she continued. “It taught me so much about politics and public policy, and is already proving to be useful in my academic career.” Kourtzidis is interested in a career as a public policy consultant. She would like to pursue a doctorate in public policy so that she can become a college professor and conduct research.

Sport and Leisure Management major Madalyn Budzik ’19 refined skills that will be useful in her potential career endeavors, as well. She served as a field promotion intern for the Bristol Blues collegiate baseball organization, in Bristol, CT.

Budzik organized all advertising sponsors and games, and worked closely with the game announcer to ensure all event communications took place accurately and seamlessly. She also devised games and events for children attending games.

“It took me out of my comfort zone in terms of public speaking because it requires me to speak in front of large groups of people,” she said. “I know this will help me in the future because I am building organizational and communication skills. Internships are important for students because they provide real-world, hands-on experience so they can decide whether they want to continue to pursue the career path they may be considering.”