Eastern Names New Head Baseball Coach

Former Amherst College head baseball coach Brian Hamm has been named the seventh head baseball coach in the 71-year history of the Eastern baseball program.

“We are very excited to welcome Brian Hamm to the Eastern family,” said Director of Athletics Lori Runksmeier in making the announcement. “Brian emerged as our leading candidate from a highly competitive pool, and I am confident he is going to do great things. The Eastern baseball program has a tradition of success, and the expectations that accompany those successes are high,” added Runksmeier. “Brian has shown he can produce teams that win with character, and he has the passion to succeed as a Warrior. I believe he will meet our expectations and create great experiences for our baseball players.”

Hamm averaged nearly 25 wins a year with a .662 winning percentage in his nine-year career at Amherst. He replaces Matt LaBranche, who was 124-77 with two Little East Conference tournament titles in five seasons. LaBranche resigned in June to become the director of athletics at Western New England University.

Hamm left Amherst after the 2018 season to return to Connecticut where his wife, Maija Cheung, is a surgeon at Yale-New Haven Hospital. “Returning to Connecticut and coaching at one of our great public institutions is important to me,” noted Hamm, a product of the Terryville Public Schools System. “My family has a long history in sports in Terryville and in Connecticut, and to join the Eastern baseball family and represent our alumni is a privilege that I will do my best to honor. I am thrilled to have the opportunity to do so with the young men that are on the team now. I’ve spoken with some of the players and it is clear that I am joining a wonderful group.”

Hamm inherits an Eastern team that finished 25-16 last year—10-14 in the Little East Conference—reaching the championship round of the Little East Conference tournament as the No. 2 seed.

Hamm holds a B.A. Degree in Political Science from Middlebury and an M.S. Degree in Sport Management from the University of Massachusetts Isenberg School of Management.