Click 

here or hit the Enter key on your keyboard to go to our Text Only Site. Eastern's Mission   Search  

Students Take a Global Field Course to Zurich and London

Written by Michael Rouleau

zurich london group.jpg

Willimantic, Conn. - From May 17-28, eight students from Eastern Connecticut State University traveled to Zurich, Switzerland, and London, England, on a global field course to learn about the cities' business practices, marketing approaches and cultural history.

"This was my first trip taking students abroad, and I can say with certainty that everyone enjoyed themselves immensely," said faculty advisor Katalin Eibel-Spanyi, professor of marketing. "We visited several organizations, studied the history of the cities, experienced different cultures and toured major attractions."

"The scenic views of the Limmat River, Lake Zurich and the Swiss Alps are something that will stay with me forever," said Carissa Riccio, an accounting major from North Haven. "I enjoyed the walking tour on the first day, learning about the city's history and getting an idea of where everything is."

Along with visiting cultural sites such as the National Museum of Zurich and the Globe Theatre in London, students toured several businesses, including Roche Diagnostics, London Metal Exchange, Chelsea Football Club and the BBC. "Our first company visit in Zurich was Credit Suisse. I felt I learned the most at this visit," said Devin Quinn, a business administration major from New Fairfield. "We learned about their marketing strategies and the reasons why they create certain advertisements."

The course was split into three parts: preliminary classroom sessions prior to the trip; the trip itself; and a series of recapping and reflection exercises. "What I liked most about both countries is that they have modern design elements throughout their cities, but also have kept a lot of their traditional roots and ceremonies," said Matt Kostyk, a business administration major from Tolland.

Todd Henderson, a business administration major from Colchester, said, "The fountains, people and scenery were breath-taking. I remember the cool crisp air made me feel energized and healthy. The Swiss people were relaxed and enjoy the simple things, seemingly without a worry in the world or sense of emergency."

"I am so thankful that I decided to go on this trip," said Kelsey Falcone, a business administration major from Somers. "I think it changed me and it let me see things that I never imagined that I would be able to go see."

July 2014

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
    1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31