Click 

here or hit the Enter key on your keyboard to go to our Text Only Site. Eastern's Mission   Search  

Football Star Maurice Clarett Speaks At Eastern

Written by Jordan Sakal

Clarett close up.jpg
Willimantic, Conn. - Arguably one of the greatest freshmen to ever play college football, visited Eastern Connecticut State University on Feb. 26 to speak to students about the rise and fall of his football career, and his life choices about drugs, alcohol and partying. Clarett's constant refrain,"Show me your friends and I'll show you your future," reminded students that friends can lead you to great things, or down the wrong path as was the case for Clarett.

His story began with memories of his youth and incarceration for stealing vehicles and breaking and entering. After his third incarceration, he was taken under the wing of Roland Smith, a juvenile corrections officer who agreed to mentor Clarett and be the father the teen so desperately needed. From this positive reinforcement, Clarett became a football star, graduated early from high school, and attended college at Ohio State University. There he set rushing records as a freshman in addition to becoming the first freshman to start for the Buckeyes in 48 years. According to Clarett, things began to fall apart at Ohio State. He ran into his old friends from the street and began to make poor decisions, delving into the world of drinking, partying and crime. As a result, he was kicked off the football team in the summer of 2003.

Clarett wide.jpg

The loss of football led Clarett into a tailspin of depression. "I substituted drugs, women and the party lifestyle because I still craved the attention of the thousands of screaming fans that football provided me but that I no longer had access to." In 2005-06, Clarett was given a second chance when he was drafted by the Denver Broncos of the National Football League. Even that second chance could not help Clarett; the drugs, partying and depression continued. "Drugs had me so far in their control party all day, party all night and it destroyed me."

After his release by the Broncos, Clarett's life spun further out of control. On Aug. 9, 2006, he was arrested for weapons possession and speeding. He spent the next four years in jail, saying of the experience, "Prison can either humble you or turn you into an animal. I became a humble man."

Maurice Clarett's story is the inspirational tale of a meteoric rise to stardom and fame and a terrible crash back down to reality, with the message that even in the darkness of despair, one can still change one's life and grow. Maurice Clarett has done just that.

April 2014

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
    1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30