Click 

here or hit the Enter key on your keyboard to go to our Text Only Site. Eastern's Mission   Search  

Eastern Presents "PULSE" - mixed media wall sculptures by Carol Brookes

Written by Christopher J. Herman

Akus-Pulse-Urchin.jpg

Willimantic, Conn. - Eastern Connecticut State University is hosting "PULSE: mixed media with sculpture by Carol Brookes," an exhibition by artist Carol Brookes in the Akus Gallery running from Aug. 29-Oct 10. A gallery discussion with Brookes will take place on Sept. 5 from 3-4 p.m. followed by a reception from 4-7 p.m.

"PULSE" examines the hemisphere as a structure, the ordinary forms seen every day in their many incarnations, such as an egg, a pod, an eye, the earth, planets and domes. The various concepts that these forms evoke are explored in the series, including thoughts and insights into life, birth and the mystical and mysterious. Nails, washers, rope, tubing, wire, rubber mats, dowels, leather buckles, industrial honeycomb insulation and tacks are just some of the materials that Brookes incorporates into her wall and box-like structures.

"My work is material driven and constantly evolving," said Brookes. "I consider the world my art supply store. With each new idea comes a new learning process. I am constantly learning 'how to make my art'; how do I use the new materials or tools that I have discovered to express a particular concept, how do I combine certain materials, how can I attach or assemble these new materials. I find this aspect of my work extremely challenging and exciting."

Brookes' artwork has been featured in solo and group exhibitions in galleries and cultural centers throughout the United States, including the McLarry Modern Gallery in Santa Fe, Illinois Central College in East Peoria, the Maryland Federation of Art in Annapolis, B. J. Spoke Gallery in Huntington, New York, the University of Northern Iowa in Cedar Falls, the Women's Center in Los Angeles, and the Miami Metropolitan Museum and Art Center.

The Akus Gallery is located in the lower level of Shafer Hall at the corner of Windham and Valley Streets in Willimantic.  Gallery hours are 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesdays and Wednesdays, 1-7 p.m. on Thursday and 2-5 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays. For more information, call (860) 465-4659 or visit www.easternct.edu/akusgallery

August 2013

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31