Click 

here or hit the Enter key on your keyboard to go to our Text Only Site. Eastern's Mission   Search  

Students Attend Spuyten Duyvil Mathematics Conference

Written by Danielle Couture

Willimantic, CT - - Four Eastern Connecticut State University students who are members of  the Eastern Math Club, along with Peter Johnson, associate professor of mathematics, attended the eighth annual Spuyten Duyvil Undergraduate Mathematics Conference at Manhattan College in New York City on April 6.

At the conference, students presented and discussed mathematical topics with other undergraduate students in a professional setting.Kyle Courtemanche, a senior from North Providence, RI, presented his honors thesis, "An Application of Markov Chains to Cross and Circle Games," which is a mathematical model on the game "Sorry." This was the first time an Eastern student has presented at the conference.

"Presenting my thesis at the conference was an excellent opportunity for me to share my research with the math community," says Courtemanche. "My presentation was very well received and I am proud of this accomplishment, as it was the culmination of two years of work. I feel it has helped prepare me for a career in mathematics."

Students who attended the trip included Ricky Magner, James Chadic, Joe Nolet and Courtemanche.The Spuyten Duyvil Undergraduate Mathematics Conference is a one-day conference that meets at a different college in the United States once a year. The conference features presentations by undergraduate students and faculty in mathematics and related disciplines.

April 2013

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30