Click 

here or hit the Enter key on your keyboard to go to our Text Only Site. Eastern's Mission   Search  

Eastern Fellows Influencing the World

Written by Dwight Bachman

eastern fellows.JPG

Eastern President Elsa Nunez, second from right, poses for a picture with 2011 Eastern Fellows Rob Nieto, left, Carol Pandiscia and Paul Provost.

Willimantic, Conn.--On March 30, Eastern inducted its third class of Alumni Fellows, a group selected from the field of media and communication. Inductees included Paul Provost '97, president and publisher of the Norwich Bulletin; Carol Pandiscia '89, senior vice president for technology program management and business planning at ESPN; and Rob Nieto'96, senior open producer for the nightly CBS-TV show, "Inside Edition with Deborah Norville."

"Colleges and universities ultimately are defined by the success of their graduates," said Eastern President Elsa Núñez.  "For a liberal arts institution, it is especially important to showcase the rich diversity of career success that our graduates achieve.  Each of the three new inductees into the Eastern Fellows program -- Carol Pandiscia, Rob Nieto, and Paul Provost -- demonstrates the transformational impact of an Eastern degree. As a group, they bring great honor and pride to our University for what they have done in their professional careers."

The three alumni visited classes taught by Communication Professor Terri Toles-Patkin and Business Administration Professor Kevin Synott to share their career experiences with students. In addition, during a panel discussion in the Paul E. Johnson Sr. Community Conference Room, all three members of the Eastern Class of 2011 credited Eastern with success in their careers, saying they received a top flight education at Eastern. "Two words will ensure a successful future for you," said Provost. "Work ethic. You only get out of life what you put into it. Find something that excites you; something for which you have passion, and bring a solid work ethic to it."

Neito encouraged students to make the most of internships. "When I first began working, I could always reach back to something I learned at Eastern because John Zatowski had me doing so many different things in the radio station." Pandiscia also encouraged students to immerse themselves once they find a job. "I became a sponge when I first started at ESPN 21 years ago. I soaked up everything and became a generalist, something I learned from my liberal arts education at Eastern. I ran tapes; worked nights and weekends, you name it, I did it."

The Fellows encouraged the students to stay current; develop the ability to be agile in a fast-changing work place; be true to themselves; and most important, be ethical and proud of the way they treat other people. "Be inclusive so everyone can be a part of the process," concluded Pandiscia. Take obstacles out of their way, and share as much as you can."

December 2011

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31