Click 

here or hit the Enter key on your keyboard to go to our Text Only Site. Eastern's Mission   Search  

Eastern HPE Student Wins Top State Honors

Written by Julianne Bass

matthew lance.JPGWillimantic, Conn. -- On Dec.14, Matthew Lance , a senior from Stratford, was selected as Connecticut's Outstanding Future Teaching Professional in Physical Education. Lance will represent Connecticut on Feb. 17 at the Eastern District Convention of the American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance (AAHPERD) at the Ocean Place Resort and Conference Center in Long Branch, NJ.
The prestigious honor entitles Lance to attend the conference and meet professionals from 11 eastern states, the Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico and Washington, D.C. Lance has a cumulative 3.96 grade point average. He is currently completing his student teaching at Two Rivers Magnate Middle School in East Hartford and will receive his teaching certification in health and physical education.
Lance said receiving the honor "to be chosen as one of the top two future professionals in the entire state of Connecticut was amazing, and it was one of the defining moments of my time at Eastern."  Lance credits his studies at with providing him the tools and resources he needs to succeed as a teacher and in life.  "The high-quality of instruction and rigorous nature of all my courses in Health and Physical Education prepared me for any scenario that I faced during my student teaching, as well as any future challenge that may arise during my teaching career."
At Two Rivers Magnate Middle School, Lance has gotten off to a fulfilling start in forging a career in an area he has found to be his passion. Looking back, Lance said he truly appreciates choosing Eastern. "The faculty at Eastern, along with the university's focus on identifying the needs of their students and putting them first, made my experience enjoyable, challenging, and extremely beneficial in terms of preparing me for the next step in my life, and for that, I will be forever grateful to Eastern."
Caption: Matthew Lance
###

December 2011

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31