Text Only Version
The Charlotte Biederman French Studies Award
The Charlotte Biederman French Studies Award is a merit-based award for current ECSU students with a genuine interest in and commitment to
the French language and Francophone cultures. Awards will be made to students who intend to teach French, major or minor in French or
French studies, and/or study French through one of the ECSU-affiliated study-abroad programs in a French speaking culture. The Fund was
established in memory of Charlotte Biederman by her family. Charlotte Biederman was a graduate of Hunter College, Columbia University, and
the Sorbonne (Paris) and she was a dedicated French teacher. The amount of the award is up to $1,000.00. The stipend may apply toward
tuition, study abroad, books, or other needs in the pursuit of the study of French.
There is no application deadline, just submit two (2) copies of the application and a typed proposal to the office of Professor Michèle
Boškovic (Webb Hall, Room 233). (Incomplete applications will not be processed.) Students will be notified within two weeks of
applying (except during winter and summer breaks).
The project must be completed within one year of the award notification.
The application includes:
- the enclosed application form
- a complete list of courses ever taken in French (indicate the date and place these courses were taken).
- an abstract of 500 words maximum in which the student describes, in detail, how the award will be used.
- Two (2) letters of recommendation (one preferably from a French professor) (Letters of recommendation are due at the same time as the
- Upon completion of the project, the student will write and submit to Professor Boškovic a short report, reflecting on the
experience gained thanks to this award.
Applications will be evaluated by ECSU faculty members. If the application is deemed not deserving, the committee reserves the right to
not confer the award.
This is not a money award. Students will be reimbursed or vendors will be paid directly by ECSU’s appropriate office upon submission
by the student of the original receipts (tuition bill, travel expenses, etc.)