MAT 155 – PreCalculus Mathematics Resources
MAT 155 Course Description
Topics include the study of functions, domain and range, building new functions through algebraic operations, composition of functions, and inverse functions. The course will also include the study of families of functions such as polynomial, rational, radical, exponential, logarithmic, and trigonometric functions. Specifically, students are expected to gain an understanding of algebraic notation, expressions, equations, inequalities and their use in describing and interpreting relationships, functions and function notation, proportional and inversely proportional relationships, and applications of periodic phenomena and trigonometric identities. The use and mastery of graphing technology is an essential aspect of the course. This course is designed for students majoring in STEM disciplines. May also be useful to other quantitative disciplines.
Course Pre-requisite: Placement at this level
Credits: 4 (all of which count towards graduation)
MAT 155 Common Formulas
- MyLab & Mastering (optional use by instructors)
- List of Available Mathematical Concept Practice Sheets located in the MAC
Links to Videos, Online Worksheets, Study Sheets and Notes
- www.mathtv.com is a comprehensive library of online video support that includes videos by topic and tutorials for every example in the textbook. Videos are mobile phone ready, many are closed captioned and all feature both instructor and student presenters.
- PreAlgebra and Algebra videos all stored on youtube and are approximately five minutes long.
- Hippocampus provides videos, animations, and simulations.
- Khan Academy Arithmetic and PreAlgebra provides videos.
- Khan Academy Algebra provides videos.
- www.onlinemathlearning.com multipurpose math help providing lessons, videos and worksheets by grades and topics.
- Pauls Online Math Notes provides online math tutorials, study sheets and notes.
- Middlesex Community College provides videos.
- Mathispower 4u Tutorials provides videos.
- OpenAlgebra provides worksheets, videos and interactives.
- SheLovesMath provides notes and examples from basic math through Calculus.
Websites Below Have Limited Access to Free Videos
- www.educator.com Basic Math provides videos.
- www.educator.com PreAlgebra provides videos.
- www.educator.com Algebra 1 provides videos.
- www.educator.com Algebra 2 provides videos.
Graphing Calculator Information
This area provides you with assistance with using your graphing calculator.
Math in the Real World
Math is used throughout the world in both STEM and non-STEM disciplines. The following are links to formulas used in various disciplines.
- Accounting Formulas 1
- Accounting Formulas 2
- Economics Formulas 1
- Economics Formulas 2
- Mathematics in Sports
- Nursing 1
- Nursing 2
- Physical Science Tables Formulas and Equations
- Physics Formulas
- The Social Security Benefit Formula
- We Use Math
- GeoGebra is an interactive algebra, geometry and calculus application.
- Maxima is a computer algebra system.
- WolframAlpha is an online service that answers factual inquiries directly by computing the answer
MAT 155 Instructor Resources (Optional and determined by individual instructors)
Fall 2017 Departmental Mathematics Achievement Center Participation Policy Deadlines
Students are required to complete the first 9 hours by the close of the MAC on Thursday, October 19, 2017 and the remaining 9 hours by the closing of the MAC on Tuesday, December 5, 2017.
Note that students will receive credit for a maximum of 3 hours per day in the MAC. Students are welcome to stay as long as they wish, but they will only receive credit for 3 hours.