Social Security


What you need to do:

  • You must get employment on campus before applying
  • Get a letter from your employer proving you have been given employment (must be supplied on company letter-head stationery and with an original signature and include the Employer Identification Number)
  • Get a letter from the International Student Advisor
  • You will need to take ALL of the following items to the Social Security Administration (SSA) office:
  • Letter from on-campus employer (Steps 1 and 2)
  • Letter from ISS Advisor (Step 3)
  • Application form from SSA
  • I-94 card
  • I-20 (for F-1 students)
  • Valid Passport
  • Visa
  • One photo ID that is at least one year old (passport)


DO NOT FORGET TO ASK FOR A RECEIPT from the Social Security Administration in order to prove to your employer that you have applied for a social security.


Call SSA (860) 423-6386, toll-free 1-800-772-1213, or visit at the nearest location:

Social Security

1320 Main Street

Willimantic, CT 06226