Money Matters

Money Matters

Employment in the U.S.

Employment is any activity for which you receive compensation. Compensation does not only refer to receiving money. For example, baby-sitting or housekeeping in exchange for room and board would be considered compensation for services.

Self-employment (for example, offering personal services, making and selling products, or otherwise engaging in income-producing activity in the U.S.) is generally prohibited. Income from investments, interest on bank accounts, and similar funds do not constitute employment because there is no direct service/compensation relationship. Similarly, income from foreign employers does not necessarily constitute employment in the U.S. if that money is paid abroad.

Funding Options

Funding your studies is a challenge faced by many international students studying in the U.S. Eastern Connecticut State University does offer some financial scholarships to new international students based on their high school grades.

Social Security Number

Students holding F-1 and J-1 status who are employed in the U.S. must apply for a social security number. See Social Security Number.


Most F-1 and J-1 students must file forms each year with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), even if no income was earned. For information about your tax obligations, review tax forms 8843.

ECSU Tuition and Fees

The yearly tuition and fees charged by Eastern Connecticut State University changes every year, and can be found here. Further you can follow your payments due and set up payment plans through your Eweb portal.