Employment Authorization

Employment Authorization

  1. International Students must make sure they do not engage in any form of illegal (unauthorized) job because there is a severe punishment for anyone cut in this act.
  2. International Students should visit the International Student Office to fill all the necessary paperwork before starting any job.


F-1 Students

  • You must be enrolled as a full time student before qualifying for a job on campus
  • Apply for the position either online or in personĀ  at the Student Employment Office (Wood Support Service, 1st Floor near the Financial Aid Office)
  • The Student can work on campus not more than 20 hours per week when school is in session and full time during vacation.
  • However, you are required to fill all the required paperwork for job authorization before working

J-1 Students

  • International Student must receive the permission of the J-1 program sponsor before starting the work
  • The Student can work on campus not more than 20 hours per week when school is in session or full time during vacation.


F-1 OPT (Optional Practical Training)

OPT is a temporary job authorization that permits F-1 students to receive opportunity to gain practical work experience applying the knowledge gained in the classroom.

  • Students must be maintain F-1 status at the time of application
  • They must choose to work in areas related to their major
  • Most international student are eligible to apply for OPT which is 12months
  • You can choose to use you OPT during your program of study or after your program of study.
  • However, it is highly recommended for students to wait till after graduation to work.
  • Students who choose Post-completion employment must be full-time (at least 20 hours per week).

F-1 CPT (Critical Practical Training)

CPT is a job opportunity that is open for international students (F-1) who is required to do practical training employments for academic purpose.

  • The student is highly encouraged to visit the International Student office to fill the CPT request form before the start date.
  • It is usually an internship or practicum which is required of the student for graduation.
  • The student will only receive a credit after completing CPT program.