Project M.A.T.C.H. – U.P.
Making Adjustments To College Hooked to Upperclassmen Peers
Apply here if you are a new student and would like to participate. Applications are due by July 15, 2017 for priority consideration.
Transitioning to college is an exciting time. New students have to acclimate to new surroundings, new peers (who will eventually become friends), and new ways to accomplish academic successes. Project M.A.T.C.H. – U.P. is an optional program for incoming students to be matched with upperclassmen peers as a means to have an initial and immediate connection to campus.
- To provide incoming students with an upperclassman peer to obtain an initial connection to the campus community.
- To provide an additional resource to give incoming students guidance throughout their first semester.
- To provide a peer for incoming students to be able to ask questions and obtain candid responses regarding college issues.
- To enhance the social life/experience for incoming students.
- To provide a positive method for upperclassmen to be able to demonstrate leadership and to contribute to the University.
Activities for matches:
- Project M.A.T.C.H. – U.P. Social
- Activity/program in mentor’s hall
- Activity/program in mentee’s hall
- Eat together at Hurley Hall, the Student Center Food Court or the Library Cafe
- Attend a student organization meeting together (UROC, SGA, etc.)
- Attend an athletic event or community service event
- Attend a fine arts program or university speaker event on campus
- Attend a Friday After Dark (FAD), Warrior Cup, UROC or other housing event together
- Do something recreational in the Willimantic area (movies, restaurant, bowling, etc.)
- Incoming students who are interested in being paired with an upperclassman mentor should complete an online application by clicking the link above.
- Priority application deadline is July 15, 2016.
- Submission of an application authorizes Eastern Housing to share the contact information of the incoming student with the assigned upperclassman mentor.
- After submitting your application, incoming students will be notified of the name and contact information for their upperclassman peer who will make initial contact during the summer.
For additional information, contact the Director of Housing and Residential Life, LaMar Coleman, at email@example.com.