For general advising information please see the Advising Center website at

The History department website lists the requirements for each of the majors and a minor under the “Areas of Study” tab. Departmental forms, which also list these requirements, are available from the Department of History office or from your academic advisor.

Every semester each history major receives a special Department of History Advisement Newsletter, sent out via email as well as posted on the website (under Additional Links). The Newsletter includes the most current information on the upper division courses and seminars to be offered the next semester, and a variety of other useful information.

Advising information is also displayed on the bulletin boards in the History Department hallway on the 3rd floor of Webb Hall.

Updates pertaining to course offerings, etc., are posted on the History Blog, accessible through this website, or under Social Media-Blogs on the Eastern Mobile app.

Before registering for courses (including summer and intersession), see your advisor. If you do not have an advisor, see the department chair to get one assigned. You may pick your own advisor (or change advisors) if you wish; otherwise a History faculty member will be assigned to you.

There are two possible ways to major in History. See the brief descriptions below, but also check the detailed requirements in the catalog and elsewhere on this website or talk with any History faculty.

If you are not yet a History major, fill out a Change of Major form. It is available from the History Office at 326 Webb Hall, from the Registrar’s Office, or at the Advisement Center. You may see the History chair for registration advisement until your regular advisor is appointed.

The standard major makes an ideal foundation for a liberal arts education and preparation for a wide variety of career options including teaching.

History and Social Sciences
This major is designed especially for students who are also seeking teaching certification at the secondary level, but you are not required to have this major. Students with a History and Social Science major find employment in many different fields.

History with Concentration in American Studies
This major is more interdisciplinary and includes course work in a variety of areas related to American culture, such as English, art, political science, and sociology.

Double major
If you have two majors, you should have an advisor from each department. Only one advisor of your choice will be recorded as your official advisor.

A minor is optional and is not required for graduation. Many History majors complete minors in related or complementary fields, for example in Political Science or English, as well as interdisciplinary minors, including Asian Studies, Latin American Studies, and Women’s and Gender Studies. If you are interested in a minor, see the coordinator or director of the appropriate program. You can declare a minor at any time.

History Minor
You do not need an advisor in the History Department to declare a History minor, which requires 15 history credits (9 of them must be “unique”; please see below for more information). You can get informal advice from any History faculty or the chair.

Education Certification
To be certified to teach in Connecticut, you must double major, one major in Education and one content major. A History or History/American Studies major works best for those focusing on Early Childhood or Elementary education  A History and Social Sciences major works best for those interested in Secondary education, although either of the other majors could work, so long as you as you fulfill the education certification course requirements. For information on the Education department and certification requirements please see


  1. General graduation requirements
  2. LAC for History majors
  3. HIS and HIS/SS majors
  4. HIS with concentration in American Studies
  5. Minor in History



  • If I withdraw from a course, does it remain on my record? Yes, but it will not count in your GPA.
  • I tried to register for 6 courses but couldn’t – why not?  I have a 3.5 GPA and should be able to take 18 credits. You can take 18 credits but you can only register for 17 during the initial registration period.  You will have to wait for the drop/add period during the first week of classes to add the extra course.
  • I need to take a 1xx level class for my teaching certification requirements, but I can’t register for it because I am a junior.  What can I do? For most 100-level classes your advisor can sign a permission form that you take to the Registrar’s office.  It allows you to take a course you need at the 100-level.  The forms are available in the main History Office.  Note, however, that you cannot use this for HIS 120 or 121.


  • Which courses in the LAC can double count for a history major?  History majors can use HIS 120 or 121 in Tier I Historical Perspectives (History Social Science majors can also use HIS 116), as well as HIS 230 or 231 for Tier II Cultural Perspectives. But other courses such as HIS 363 or HIS 362 can only be used either for an LAC requirement or for a History major requirement.  Your degree evaluation will automatically put that course in your major but if you plan on using it for Tier II, just be sure to take an extra history elective. History majors with an American Studies concentration may also use AMS 251/HIS 251 for the major and T2IS requirement.
  • What happens if I place a course on Credit/No Credit? You can use up to two C/NC courses for your Tier I requirements of LAC, but it will not count towards your major or minor, or any other requirement except credits.  There are some courses you should avoid putting on C/NC: your math and writing requirements in particular because you must take those and just getting credit won’t fulfill the requirement.


  • I understand that HIS 120 and HIS 121 are not open to juniors and seniors. I am a junior History/social science major and I haven’t taken HIS 120 or 121. Help! Your best course of action might depend on whether or not you intend to teach. If you plan on teaching, you may need to substitute the surveys with an American history course recognized by the state as an American history survey. The list of these courses is available in the History office and on bulletin board in the History hallway. If you do not plan to teach (and don’t need a course recognized by the state as an American history survey) you have more options.  You can discuss with your advisor any appropriate upper division American history courses, which cover a given chronological period that may substitute. A substitution form is available in the History office.
  • I am a History major, why can’t I register for HIS 310? HIS 310 is an American history survey restricted for non-History majors only. It is intended for students who missed taking American history survey and need an American history course approved by the state as appropriate for teaching certification.
  • Why can’t I overload into a history survey course? History survey courses are capped at a certain number in order to be the most effective pedagogically. A permission to overload can be granted only after prior consent from the instructor and only in documented extenuating circumstances (preference, work and scheduling conflicts do not qualify).
  • Why does my degree evaluation for History/Social Science show that I don’t have enough electives when I have taken 5?  You may not have taken the proper mix of courses.  You must have at least two US history courses and at least two global history courses. How do I know which are which? Sometimes it is easy to tell from the title; but if you have any questions check the course catalog descriptions on the History department website under attributes.  US history courses have the attribute “American History” (HUS) and global ones are “History Global” (HGLO).  If you think a course hasn’t been counted properly, see your advisor.
  • I got a C- in one of my history courses, will it count? No, you must get at least a C in a course for it to count for the History major. What can I do when I get a C- in a history course? You can retake the course for a new grade (but be aware that you can only retake 3 courses during your college career); or you can discuss with your advisor what you might substitute for that course.  If you got a C- in HIS 200 or your seminar, you will have to retake it.
  • I took a Travel Course, an Internship, and now I want to take an Independent Study. Will they all count towards my history electives? No, only two 4xx level courses (not counting a seminar) can count as History electives.
  • I would like to take an Independent Study, but I have not had HIS 200 yet; can I do it? HIS 200 successfully completed (C or better) is a pre-requisite for all 4xx level courses.
  • I am a transfer student. How many credits do I need to take in history at Eastern in order to graduate with a history degree? Majors must complete at least 15 credits in residence at Eastern. A grade of C or better is required in each course used in the major. A seminar and HIS 200 cannot be transferred.



  • Can I get certified to teach Elementary Education with a major in history with concentration in American Studies? Students with any History major, including History/American Studies can earn their teaching certification. The interdisciplinary character of the American Studies concentration makes it a particularly good match for Elementary Education certification. For more information on American Studies requirements, please see the “Areas of Study” section on the History website.



  • I like history and already took several history courses and now am thinking about getting a History minor. Can I use all of the courses I took? A student must take at least 15 history credits to earn a History minor. At least six of them must be at the 3xx level or higher (excluding HIS 310). Nine credits must be taken at Eastern. As with any minor, nine credits must be “unique”, which means they cannot be used to fulfill any other requirement.
  • How do I declare a History minor? All you need to do is fill out a form “Declaration/Add/Drop a Minor,” which you can pick up in the History office or the Registrar’s office. Although you can declare your minor any time, you are encouraged to do it early.