Student Health Insurance: Frequently Asked Questions

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Starting in FALL 2017, students will no longer be required to have health insurance to attend Eastern and the University will no longer be offering a health insurance plan to students. However, the Student Health Service Office not only strongly recommends but urges all students to have adequate health insurance coverage. Even though services in our office are free or have minimal cost, if you don’t have adequate health insurance, you and your family could end up with some extremely costly medical bills and serious financial difficulties should you suffer a serious illness or accident, or need surgery for something like appendicitis. Also, please make sure you have your current health insurance information with you here at school (health insurance card or other documents with the name of insurance, policy number, policy holder, claims address.) Connecticut students needing insurance can find out more about available insurance resources and plans at the Access Health CT website, www.accesshealthct.com/. Students from other states needing insurance can check out those states’ insurance exchanges or marketplaces on the Internet.

The following FAQs apply only to students enrolled for the Spring 2017 semester. After that, health insurance will no longer be required for any Eastern student and the University will no longer offer Aetna or any other insurance plan to students. (Please see notice above.)

Do I need to purchase the school’s health insurance plan?

No. If you are a full time student you are required to have health insurance but if you are covered under another health insurance plan or policy (your parent’s, for example), and it provides you with adequate coverage while here at school, you do not need to purchase Eastern’s health plan through Aetna. However, you must opt out of the plan by waiving it or you will be charged for this insurance. Go to ‘How to Waive Insurance’ page. Health insurance coverage is not required for part time or graduate students but is highly recommended.

Who provides the insurance, and what is covered?

Aetna Student Health, part of the Aetna Insurance Companies provides the insurance; full details are outlined in this brochure.

How much does insurance cost through the University?

2016-2017 YearFull year 8/1/16-7/31/17Fall Semester 8/1/16-
Spring Semester 1/1/17-
Domestic (U.S.) Full time Student Sickness plan only$2953$1238$1,715
Part time Student Sickness Insurance. (Must contact Aetna to sign up through website.)




International Students - Full time Sickness Insurance$2953$1238$1,715

What new changes are there in the 2016-2017 policy?

  • The deductible increases from $25 to $500
  • Office visit copay increases from $15 to $20
  • Emergency room copay increases from $25 to $150
  • Prescription drug (generic/brand) copay increases from $5/20 to $5/40

If I do not have the school insurance policy, can I still use the Student Health Service (SHS)?

Yes. Primary care services are prepaid by your general university fee so there is no charge or copay when you are seen. Moreover, there is no limit to the number of visits a student can make to the SHS.

Do we have to pay for medications and tests at the Health Service?

Yes. There is a small charge for certain medications the SHS dispenses and some office-based lab tests the SHS does. You can pay by having the charge put on your student fee bill so you do not need to have money with you. You will be given a receipt which you can submit to your insurance companies which may or may not reimburse you. Or you can pay for these charges with cash or with the Express card — Eastern’s version of a debit card. The Aetna Student Health plan does reimburse for prescription medications, but you may also obtain medications at a pharmacy using your Aetna Student Insurance ID card. With this card, there is a $5 copay for generic drugs, $40 for brand name drugs.

Accident Insurance – What happens if I get injured and I don’t have the school’s sickness insurance?

All full time students at Eastern, regardless of what health insurance they have, are covered under an accident insurance plan provided by Aetna from August 1,2016 through July 31, 2017, or until full-time enrollment is terminated. Please note: For those students on their parents’ health insurance plan or another plan, and not on the Aetna Student Health plan, this accident policy is an excess policy. This means the Aetna insurance will pay only accident-related costs that are not covered by your other (primary) health insurance policy.

My mom lost her job and now we don’t have health insurance! Can I sign up for the plan even though it’s not during the enrollment period?

Yes, but you will need a letter from your previous insurance company, dated WITHIN 30 DAYS of losing your health insurance coverage, certifying that you have had a “loss of coverage”. Then you will need to complete an application form that we can help you fax to Aetna Student Health. Your cost of the insurance for the remainder of the semester will be prorated, depending on when you sign up. Please call Aetna Student Health at 877-375-4244 from 8:30AM to 5:30PM, Monday through Friday, for assistance.

Will this insurance pay for me to see my own doctor?

Yes. You may go to a doctor or other health care provider of your own choosing or to another facility, such as a walk-in clinic. However, there may be a co-payment or other charges, the amount depending on whether or not the health care provider provider you choose participates with the Aetna plan. To see if your health care provider participates with the Aetna plan, use the “DocFind” feature of Aetna Student Health’s web page.

Does school sickness insurance cover birth control pills?

Yes. Starting in 2013, the Aetna Student Health Plan  has provided 100% coverage of certain brands of birth control pills, as well as other forms of contraception, meaning you will no longer have to pay anything for them at the pharmacy when you use your Aetna insurance card. The student health insurance plan also covers 100% (no co-pay) of the cost of an annual women’s gynecological exam, including a pap test.

Does school sickness insurance cover psychological counseling services outside Eastern?

Yes. The student health plan will cover outpatient mental health care and there is no coverage limit. Psychoactive medications such as antidepressants are also covered. Please remember that Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) at Eastern is available to students free of charge.

Does the school insurance policy cover dental work?

Other than prompt repair of injury to natural teeth, no, it does not. However, the policy may cover removal of impacted or partially impacted wisdom teeth, but only the surgery and anesthesiology fees. Another option to consider is Aetna Student Health’s “Vital Savings”. (Click on the “Dental and Rx Discount program” link for details.)

I am a part-time student at Eastern. Can I still enroll in the school insurance plan?

Yes, including both the sickness and accident plans. Part-time students enroll through the web site, www.AetnaStudentHealth.com.

Can my spouse or children be covered under this plan?

No. The Aetna Student Health Plan does not offer coverage to spouses, children or other dependents of policy holders.

I’m going to change from being full-time to part-time. Will I still be covered?

If you change to a part-time status, you will lose your insurance coverage.  If you want to continue the coverage, you must contact Aetna directly and request it.  Call 877-375-4244 or go to www.AetnaStudentHealth.com to enroll.

What do I do if I need medical care when I am traveling?

Any full-time student who requires medical care while traveling at least 100 miles from home or campus (including anywhere outside the United States) should use Emergency Travel Assistance Services to coordinate any needed transfers, referrals, or evacuation. All full time students have access to these services at no cost. Go to Aetna Student Health’s web site, click on the “Medical Plan: enroll” link then the “Travel Assistance” link for detailed information about this service.

I graduate in December. Will my sickness insurance still be good in the Spring?

No. You purchase sickness insurance one semester at a time. So, if you graduate in the fall, your insurance expires on December 31st. (See dates in table above above.)

After I graduate, can I still get insurance through Aetna Student Health?

No.  But this link offers information to soon-to-be graduates who will need to transition to a new health plan. It is important to avoid lapses in health insurance coverage if possible.

Who issues our insurance policy? How do I get in touch with them?

Aetna Student Health issues the policy and administers the plan.  For questions and assistance with enrollment, getting an ID card, and submitting claims, go to their web page or contact their Customer Service Department Monday through Friday at 877-375-4244 from 8:30AM to 5:30PM.

How do I submit a claim?

If the health care provider is an Aetna provider, the health care provider will file a claim electronically for you.  To see if your health care provider participates with the Aetna plan, use theDocFindfeature of the Aetna Student Health web page.  If the health care provider does not participate in the Aetna network, you may download a claim form from the Aetna Student Health web site and send it in to the company with an itemized receipt. Send claims to:

Aetna Student Health, P.O. Box 981106, El Paso, TX 79998

(Plan’s Group # is 890433)