Federal & State Websites

Federal and State Links

Sources of Federal Funding – Federal funding is appropriated by the legislature for varying periods of time and for varying programs. Most often they are announced to the public through the Federal Register or the Federal Domestic Assistance Catalogue (CFDA). These announcements are called RFP’s or Requests for Proposals and usually have specific deadlines and guidelines, which must be met for submission. Many appear year after year, and keep approximately the same deadlines, while others are one-time appropriations. You can look for RFP’s in your field by searching these federal websites:

Department of Education
Department of State – Fulbright programs, USIA
Department of Labor
Department of Energy
Department of Commerce
Department of Defense
Environmental Protection Agency
Fish & Wildlife
Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
National Endowment for the Arts (NEA)
National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH)
National Institutes of Health (NIH)

NIH Academic Research Enhancement Award (AREA) Grants

National Science Foundation (NSF)

Divisions of Biology, Crosscutting, Computer and Information Science, Education and Human Resources, Engineering, Geosciences, International, Math and Physical Sciences, Polar Programs, Social and Behavior Science

CAREER (early career development) grants

RUI Research in Undergraduate Institutions grants

FastLane Web-based electronic submission

Sources of State Funding – State funding is often determined by federal funding and often works in tandem with federal agencies. However, each state has its own appropriations and priorities and local agencies may often funding for programs not funded federally. These are usually smaller and have more local impact. Relevant state sites are:

CT Commission on Culture and Tourism
CT Humanities Council
CT Office of Higher Education
CT Department of Energy and Environmental Protection