Visa and Travel Information

Visa and Travel Information

Applying for a U.S. Visa

  • You can apply for the visa through the U.S. Embassy in your home country
  • Depending on the agreement with the US and your home country, you will likely need these documents to apply
    • Letter of acceptance
    • Proof of financial status
    • Form I-20 or DS-2019

Renewing Your Visa

  • Follow the same process that you used to apply for the visa initially.
  • Include a copy of your school transcript with the documents in the “Applying for a U.S. Visa” category.

Expired Visa

  • Applying for a new visa takes several weeks, so you need to plan your travel date accordingly.
  • If your visa has expired, you can leave US, but you will need to obtain a new visa before coming back. You can remain in the US with an expired visa as long as your Form I-20 or DS-2019 is valid.

Visa Categories at Eastern Connecticut State University

  • F-1 Student
  • J-1 student

Immigration Status

  • Your immigration status determined how long and under what conditions you are allowed to stay in the US. Your immigration documents determine this status (e.g. F-1, J-1, H-4)
  • International Students must always obtain an I-94 card that correctly shows their status in the United States. Remember to bring the updated copy of your Form I-94 to the International Student Office every time you return to the US.
  • Please note that you can stay in the US as long as your immigration document (Form I-20 or DS-2019) hasn’t expired.

Travel Outside the United States

International Students may be required to apply for a visa in order to enter a foreign country they are planning to travel to. Check the visa requirements on the country’s consulate website.

Traveling Within the U.S.

International Students can travel within the United States with their passports. Please always travel with your Form I-20 and other immigration forms.

International Students do not need a visa to travel to:

  • Puerto Rico
  • Hawaii
  • Guam
  • Virgin Islands

For more information, see the following US Government websites: