Applying for Teacher Certification
Undergraduate and graduate teacher candidates who have completed all requirements for Connecticut teacher certification request a certification recommendation from Eastern; upon confirming that the candidate has met all requirements, Eastern provides the candidate with a formal recommendation for certification, which the candidate then submits to the Connecticut State Department of Education (CSDE).
Step 1 – Eastern’s Process
- Attend the “Teacher Certification Orientation Meeting,” held each semester. (Mandatory)
- Complete Eastern’s Request for Teacher Certification Recommendation Form in its entirety.
- Complete the fillable PDF, or print the form and write legibly using black or blue ink.
- Complete page 1 of the ED 170A Short Form Application for Connecticut Initial Educator Certificate.
- Complete “Page 1” only.
- Use black or blue ink and write legibly.
- Submit all of the following forms/documents to the Office of the Dean, School of Education/Professional Studies, Webb Hall 160:
- Eastern’s Request for Teacher Certification Recommendation Form;
- ED 170A Short Form Application for Connecticut Educator Certificate;
- Copy of Praxis Core (Praxis I) passing scores (or evidence of remediation) or Praxis Core Waiver;
- Copy of Praxis II Score Report (Early Childhood Test score report for ECE);
- Copy of CT Foundations of Reading Test score report (Elementary & ECE applicants only);
- Official transcript(s) from any non-Eastern institution that you attended;
- First Aid card (Physical Education applicants only);
- Student Teaching Clock Hours Form and, if applicable, the Student Teaching Clock Hours Summary Form;
- Do not send money with the application.
Only completed applications with all supporting documents will be processed.
Step 2 – CT State Department of Education’s Process
Upon completion of the certification recommendation process, the ED 170A Short Form Application for Connecticut Initial Educator Certificate will be returned to the applicant. At this point, the applicant will forward the following documents to the Connecticut State Department of Education (CSDE) in Hartford:
- Completed ED 170A, with Eastern seal and signature;
- $200 processing fee (Money order, cashier’s check, or certified bank check made out to “Treasurer, State of Connecticut”);
- $100 processing fee for each additional endorsement;
- Official Eastern transcript with degree posted;
- Official transcript(s) from any other institution that you attended;
- Praxis II – CSDE only accepts Praxis II scores that were reported directly from the testing agency (ETS or Pearson). If you did not request that the scores be forwarded to CSDE at the time you took the tests, you must request that your scores are forwarded prior to mailing your certification application. (Early Childhood Test score report for ECE);
- CT Foundations of Reading Test Score Report (Elementary & ECE applicants only);
- First Aid card (Physical Education applicants only).
For general information about Eastern’s teacher certification programs, please contact the Education Department at 860.465.4530, or visit the Committee for Admission and Retention in Education (CARE) website.
If you have questions about Eastern’s certification recommendation process, please contact the Office of the Dean at 860.465.5292, or email Dr. Mark Foley: firstname.lastname@example.org
Information about state requirements for certification, timelines, forms, etc. can be found online at the Connecticut State Department of Education’s Bureau of Certification.