All airline and rail service may be booked through any available outlet, although in general the current State Travel Agent is the preferred outlet. The lowest-cost airfare should be sought whenever possible.
Prior to booking airfare, a Travel Authorization number must be obtained from the University Travel Office. If using the State Travel Agent, reservations will not be made without this number. You will also be required to give your name, agency name and number, employee number, and home and work telephone numbers to the Agent. Be sure to type your assigned number on the Travel Authorization form (upper right hand corner). Prior to reserving any new airline tickets, all unused unexpired airline tickets previously purchased by the University must be used whenever possible. Sufficient lead-time of two (2) weeks is necessary to secure tickets
purchased through the current State Travel Agent. Use of electronic ticketing is required whenever possible.
When booking online trip packages through Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, or any other online booking agent, a cost breakdown of each travel component, such as airfare, lodging and car rental, is required.
Reimbursement for all air & rail travel will be at the lowest available rate. Standard coach accommodations will be provided for rail journeys less than six hours duration. First class fare will not be allowed unless the continuous rail journey is more than six hours in duration. Rail travel amount indicated on the Travel Authorization should include the cost of overnight roomette accommodations, when applicable. Do not use the lodging block for this cost. Indicate by inserting the word “Roomette” next to “Rail”. Any difference in cost for class upgrade will be at the expense of the traveler, except where first class or business class travel is approved, as described below.
The use of first class and business class is discouraged; however, in the case of an exception, the following must be adhered to:
• Business class rather than first class must be used whenever available.
• First class is only to be used when business class is not available.
• Use of business class or first class requires the University President’s (or Chancellor’s, in the case of the System Office) original signature and written justification for the exception, submitted on the Policy Exception Request form (Exhibit F).
• Total flight time (from point of departure to destination - actual time in the air) must be a total of six (6) hours or more.
• A copy of the flight itinerary must be attached to the Travel Authorization in order to verify flight time. In addition, a Policy Exception Request (Exhibit F) form for the use of first class or business class bearing the President’s original signature is required to be attached to the Travel Authorization.
A traveler may be reimbursed for the actual and necessary expense incurred for changing flight plans, subject to the approval of the fund manager. It is the responsibility of the traveler to substantiate that the charges were necessary and proper, and to obtain the appropriate approvals. Any additional charge for changing flight plans due to personal reasons or for the convenience of
the traveler may be borne by the traveler. Any service fees or processing fees charged to the traveler in conjunction with the purchase of airfare will be reimbursed to the traveler by the university.