Eastern Connecticut State University
Office of
Fiscal Affairs
Text Only Version
Eastern's Home Page
Tax Exemptions
Certain lodging and meal expenses incurred while traveling on University business may be exempt from state sales tax. Currently, ECSU qualifies for travel related sales tax exemption in the states listed in the chart below. The information will be updated periodically as additional states are added.
Out of State Sales Tax Exemptions for Meals and Lodging


Colorado accepts the CT exemption certificate




Expires September 30, 2018
Illinois Expires November 1, 2018
Indiana Must mail 30 days prior to travel. Include CT tax exempt #, name, address, signature of officer. FAX: 317-233-6108









New Jersey


North Dakota




Rhode Island



Hotel occupancy tax is not exempt  
No Sales Tax States: Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, and Oregon

If you plan to incur meal and/or lodging expenses in one of the above listed states, please contact the University Travel Desk prior to travel.  Any advance payment or reservation deposit, must be accompanied by the relevant exemption certificate for that state.

IMPORTANT:  In order to obtain exemption, the University must make the payment directly to the hotel or restaurant using an Eastern Connecticut State University check.  The sales tax exemption will not apply if a traveler makes a payment using a personal credit card.