Sigma Tau Delta
Sigma Tau Delta Induction Ceremony December 7, 2016
Exceptional English majors may be recognized by the department by being offered membership in Sigma Tau Delta, the international English honor society. Additionally, they might be further recognized by being offered the opportunity to complete an English Honors thesis. Further information about these opportunities can be found on the English Honors Thesis page.
Membership in Sigma Tau Delta, the English Honors Society, is an outward recognition of personal accomplishment. It provides opportunities for those interested in English language and literature to join with like-minded persons on the local, regional, national, and international levels.
The minimum requirements for membership in the ECSU Alpha Epsilon Delta chapter of Sigma Tau Delta are as follows:
- Declared major in English
- Minimum of 4 courses in the major at 200-level or above completed at ECSU
- Minimum 3.5 average in the English major
- Minimum 3.0 overall GPA
Each semester, department faculty will consider a list of students meeting the above requirements and nominate those whose intellectual ability, course work and character are deemed worthy of this special distinction. Students nominated by at least two faculty may be invited to join Sigma Tau Delta.
Members of Sigma Tau Delta receive the following benefits:
- Members receive a one-year subscription to Sigma Tau Delta publications with their initial fee: the fall and spring Newsletter and the two literary publications, The Rectangle and The Sigma Tau Delta Review.
- Members can compete for several $1,000 to $3,000 scholarships and awards.
- Members can apply for internship opportunities with a major publishing company.
- Members can submit papers for presentation at the International Convention that is held every spring.
- Members can submit papers for publication in the The Rectangle and The Sigma Tau Delta Review.
- Members meet one of the U.S. Civil Service Commission requirements for entrance at the GS-7 level in numerous professional and technical occupations in the Federal Service. This also means that students graduating with a B.S. or B.A., many of them entering at GS-5 level, move up considerably in the salary scale (up to $5000 or more per year) for membership in Sigma Tau Delta.
- Members can apply for internships through the Washington Internship Institute (WII), the premier internship program in Washington, DC. WII and the Association of College Honor Societies offer $500 scholarships to all Sigma Tau Delta members who participate in WII’s program. Internships are available in ALL majors. Scholarships may be applied to either tuition or housing. For more information, visit the Association of College Honor Societies / The Washington Center for Internships and Academic Seminars Scholarship website.
- Members are eligible to apply for a merit-based $1000 scholarship to attend The Fund for American Studies (TFAS) Summer Institute or Capital Semester. This scholarship is available to one Sigma Tau Delta member though a partnership with the Association of College Honor Societies and TFAS. For more information, visit the Association of College Honor Societies / The Fund for American Studieswebsite.
- Members are eligible for scholarships to help cover housing expenses in the internship program atThe Washington Center for Internships and Academic Seminars (TWC) through a partnership withAssociation of College Honor Societies. TWC is pleased to provide three $1,000 scholarships a year to Sigma Tau Delta members (both undergraduates and recent college graduates). For more information, please visit The Association of College Honor Societies/ The Fund for American Studieswebsite.
- Female members can take advantage of a complimentary membership to Women for Hire ($38 value), which offers advice, solutions, networking, tools, tips, and other career resources and guidance. Visit Women For Hire for full membership details. (To take advantage of the membership offer, email firstname.lastname@example.org and include Sigma Tau Delta in the subject line).
2017-2018 Alpha Epsilon Delta Chapter Executive Board:
President: Nadia Balassone
Vice President: Kathryn Jankura
Secretary: Cassidy Ricciardone
Treasurer: Morgan LaFlamme
Historian: Sean Gilmartin
Current Members: Rebecca Arrigoni, Nadia Balassone, Joshua Carpentier, Trey Geisman, Sean Gilmartin, Nicole Green, Kathryn Jankura, Montgomery Kupson, Morgan LaFlamme, Quinn McAdam, Christopher Morris, Lindsay Pattavina, Kyle Randall, Cassidy Ricciardone, Elena Sorrentino, Natalia Torcaso
Eastern’s Sigma Tau Delta chapter can be reached at email@example.com
Sigma Tau Delta Induction Ceremony May 10, 2010
Sigma Tau Delta Induction Ceremony December 7, 2010
Sigma Tau Delta Induction Ceremony December 7, 2011
Sigma Tau Delta Induction Ceremony December 5, 2012
Sigma Tau Delta Induction Ceremony December 5, 2013
Sigma Tau Delta Induction Ceremony December 8, 2014
Sigma Tau Delta Induction Ceremony December 9, 2015