English Major Exit Portfolio Requirement
The English Department requires each English major to turn in a writing portfolio to the department chairperson as a graduation requirement. This portfolio must consist of clean copies of the following six items:
- One paper from ENG 203, Writing for English Majors
- One paper from any survey course (ENG 212, 213, 214, 215 or 356)
- Two papers of the student’s choice from different 300-level English courses
- The final seminar paper completed at the end of ENG 461-462, Senior Seminar
- A reflective essay on the student’s academic experience as an English major (guidelines are available on-line and in the Department office)
The department chairperson will report completion of the exit portfolio to the Registrar, who will enter ENG 075 on the student's transcript. Portfolios are due no later than Friday of final exams weeks if you want to graduate at the end of the semester.
- Occasionally, special Topics ENG 365 courses may fulfill a required category. Check with your advisor or consult the "What's New" link on the department home page.
- A student must take at least four 300-level English courses.
- When a course is listed in two categories, it can fulfill both. A student may need to take English elective credits in order to get to 42 credits.
- Credits for ENG 100 College Writing cannot be used as part of the 42 credits required for the English major, nor can credit for ENG 241, Critical and Creative Thinking.
- ENG 461/462 (Senior Seminar) meets Writing Intensive requirement. ENG 462 meets Tier III requirement.