Committee for Admission and Retention in Education (CARE)
***Praxis I Exam Alert***
Dear Prospective Teacher Education Applicant:
Please be advised that as of July 2016, the Connecticut State Department of Education will no longer require the Praxis I for teacher certification. However, the exam, including each of it parts for Reading, Writing, and Mathematics, is required for admission to Eastern Connecticut State University’s teacher certification programs. Qualifying Praxis I Scores are as follows:
- Test Code 5712 (Reading), Score 156
- Test Code 5722 (Writing), Score 162
- Test Code 5732 (Mathematics), Score 150
Candidates are recommended to register for the Core Combined test (#5751) which includes all three tests at a greatly reduced fee. The Praxis exam is used to measure proficiency in basic skills. Registration may be processed directly through ETS. In lieu of Praxis I, applicants may continue to seek a Praxis I waiver from the State Department of Education. The waiver is based on qualifying ACT, SAT, GRE, or PAA scores.
Date: 18 July 2016; updated: Sept. 9, 2016
Eastern Connecticut State University offers these certification programs:
For CARE policies, please refer to the complete CARE Policy document.
Readmission Policy and Forms: CARE Readmission Policy and Forms
Deferment of Coursework or Student Teaching: CARE Deferment Form
Request for Reduced Student Teaching Placements: CARE reduced student teaching form
Request for Waiver of Early Childhood Education Practicum in Special Education (ECE 566): Waiver of ECE 566
Course substitution or waiver form: Course Substitution/Waiver form
Pre-education Service Hours Clock Form: Eastern pre-education service clock form
Note: Candidates for the Education Program are required to submit evidence of a minimum of 50 service hours interacting with PreK-12 students in an established educational organization, including at least 20 hours in an organization with learners whose background is different from that of the candidate. Hours must be documented using the “Service Hours Clock Form” above.
- Teacher candidates admitted to start their certification programs from Fall 2013 onwards are expected to purchase a subscription to the database management system, TK20. Please follow the TK20 link to create your account and to subscribe to TK20.
- PRAXIS I Waiver Forms
- Connecticut: Praxis Test Requirements http://www.ets.org/praxis/prxct.html
CT-SDE Important Web-links
- Connecticut State Department of Education Information
Guide to Approved Educator Preparation Programs in Connecticut
- State Department of Education Certification Regulations
- Guide for Assessments for Certification in Connecticut
- Approved Course Lists
- Connecticut Code of Professional Responsibility for Teachers
Student Orientation and Advising
- Student Orientation Advising and Registration Program information – prepared by Edmond Chibeau & Passent El-Kafrawy with some additions by David Stoloff and Wendi Everton