Counseling Services

Counseling Services

The Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) offers a range of psychological services to help students manage their personal, social, and/or academic concerns.

Scheduling an Appointment

If you would like to schedule an appointment to speak with a counselor, please call (860) 465-0181 (5-0181 from campus). You may also walk into CAPS and schedule an appointment; most often, appointments can be arranged within the next few days.  CAPS is open from 8:30am to 4:30pm Monday through Friday.  We are located at 182 High Street.

If your need is URGENT, we offer “walk-in” hours Monday-Friday, 1pm -3pm, when  you will meet with the “on-call” counselor to assess safety and determine treatment direction.

At times, counseling demands may exceed our Department’s resources.  If you come during one of these high demand periods, you might be placed on a waiting list or referred to another outside agency or provider.  If you are referred to an outside resource, you are responsible for any fees associated with such service.


Professional ethics, state, and federal laws protect the confidentiality of the information shared in counseling.  Therefore, no acknowledgement of your status as a CAPS client will be made, nor will information about your actual counseling be released to any outside agency or individual without your written permission, except as may be required by law (please see Confidentiality section).  Counseling files are NOT part of academic records and no one has access to them except the staff of CAPS.

What to expect during your first visit at CAPS

All students go through the same process at the first appointment, called “intake.” Students should arrive approximately 20-30 minutes before their scheduled appointment to fill out paperwork for the intake counselor.  The intake appointment with the intake counselor assesses your concerns and the services you may need. During this appointment, available counseling options will be discussed and decided upon between the counselor and the student. If we determine that your counseling needs require resources beyond what we can provide, we will assist you with a referral to an appropriate mental health provider (see Referrals section).  We will also offer you referrals to any on-campus resources that can provide additional help.

Individual Counseling Group Counseling Psychiatric Services