Guidelines on Gifted High School Students Taking University Courses

Guidelines on Gifted High School Students Taking University Courses

These guidelines have been developed to enable gifted and talented students of high school age to attend regular university level courses as non-matriculated students.*

Criteria and Process for Getting Permission to Enroll in Courses

1. The students must submit a written recommendation from the school counselor or principal why and how the student will benefit from taking university courses.
2. The student must communicate with the Eastern instructor and receive written permission to attend the course.
3. The student can enroll for one or more courses each semester or summer session by submitting the following to the Office of Continuing Studies & Enhanced Learning:

  • Recommendation letter(s) from the high school counselor or principal
  • Written or email documentation from the Eastern instructor approving the student to take the course
  • Completed registration form

4. Approval to enroll is granted on a space available basis
5. The student can audit the course or enroll for credit.
6. Whether the course is taken for audit or credit, the student will pay all applicable tuition and fees.
7. A copy of the student’s grade record will be forwarded to the school counselor or principal who recommended the student.
8. The student must present a copy of these guidelines to the school counselor or principal who will be recommending the student and the course instructor when requesting approval to attend course(s).
9. Permission is granted only to attend the approved course(s). It does not extend to other services or activities offered by the University.

*Guidelines do not apply to WHIP (Windham High School Incentive Program) students.

*Students who are home-schooled and live within the specified school districts may also apply to take a course at Eastern. In order to be considered, Home-schooled students need to have Junior or Senior status; a transcript from an accredited home-school correspondence/umbrella program; ACT/SAT scores if available; a letter of recommendation—we prefer an instructor outside the family to complete the recommendation, but if not applicable, parents/guardians of home-schooled applicants can serve as the teacher or school official.