Global Field Courses – Faculty – What to Bring

For Faculty – What to Bring

Home | Courses | General Info | Enrollment | Blogs & Photos | Documents

Assess Health & Safety Risks

See the U.S. Department of State Travel Advisories for potential travel risks to certain countries. Trips are cancelled with there is a health and safety risk.


Have a well-defined plan of the trip with times and locations. Have a process outlined of what a student should do if they get accidentally separated from the group in order to reach you. The students get a copy of this itinerary and process, as well as the Assistant Dean of the Office of Continuing Studies and Enhanced Learning.

Cell Phones

Many cell phone companies have calling plans for other countries that can be purchased for the time of travel.


Allow 6 weeks; expedited processing available at extra cost Carry two extra passport pictures separately from your passport, a copy of your passport, and a certified copy (not the original) of your birth certificate or an expired passport. If the passport is lost, report the loss to local police, get written confirmation of the police report, and take the above documents to the nearest U.S. consulate (if you are a U.S. citizen) and apply for a new passport. Note that passports cannot be issued immediately abroad, and you can expect a delay of days to weeks.


Permission from foreign governments may be required for you to enter their countries. You must have your passport to apply. Processing time varies from days to two months, depending on your purpose for travel, your citizenship and your destination This is not necessary for every country, but be sure to check.


Make an appointment with a doctor months in advance, since some inoculations must be done in series over many weeks. May be recommended for many destinations in Asia, Africa, the Middle East and Latin America.


You usually must have a round-trip ticket between the U.S. and foreign destination. Make a photocopy of your ticket (or e-ticket). Keep backup copies separate from the originals.


Always have multiple forms of money: cash, ATM and credit cards. Never carry large amounts of cash. Use a hidden money belt for most of your money. A money belt can be purchased at places like stores like Target, some bookstores, and AAA (American Automobile Association).

Credit Cards & ATM

Keep a list or a copy of cards, account numbers, PIN numbers, and emergency replacement procedures.


Mark all luggage inside and out with your name and address. Travel as light as possible. An internal frame backpack is the easiest to carry. Any suitcases should have wheels. The traditional way of packing clothes is to pack whatever you plan to take, then put half of it back. Never pack more than you can carry. Even on wheels, you will be lugging your suitcase everywhere.

Proof of Insurance

Health and accident insurance (ISIC card provides additional insurance, including evacuation. Trip disruption and cancellation insurance is also recommended. Different travel organizations like AAA also offer insurance.). It may be necessary to contact insurance agents while abroad, so keep all relevant names, phone numbers, and policy numbers in a safe place. Please, note that foreign phone operators will not access 800 or 888 numbers, so be sure to have other phone numbers.


Take everything you will need for the trip, along with copies of all prescriptions and the generic names of drugs. Keep medicines in the original labeled drugstore containers. Take extra eyeglasses or contacts and the prescription.

Rail Passes

Must be purchased before you leave. Money savers for extensive travel include Eurailpass, Eurail Flexipass, Europass, Japan Rail Pass, Regional or Single Country Rail Passes, etc.

International ID Card

Card provides a broad range of discounts overseas, including the International Student ID ISIC Card, Youth ID Card (for non-students under 26), or International Teacher ID Card (ITIC) for full-time instructors.


Make reservations, confirm them, and get information on traveling to and from the airport.


If you are a U.S. citizen, register your travel itinerary with the U.S. Department of State. Non-U.S. citizens should register with their home country’s embassy. See Electronic Embassy for nearest embassy. Include your itinerary (dates, places and addresses abroad) and emergency contact information. If this cannot be done online, then register once you are in the host country by phone, fax, or in-person. Keep the embassy/consulate contact information with you in case of emergency. During a disaster overseas, American consular officers can assist in evacuation were that to become necessary. But they cannot assist you if they do not know where you are.

Also register with the local authorities if required.


Photocopy your passport, plane ticket, rail pass, credit card numbers, prescriptions, and other important documents. Take one set of copies with you and leave another set in the U.S.

What You Should Know Regarding 800 and 888 numbers

They do not work abroad. Make sure that you have numbers that will work from abroad for your health insurance company, your credit card company, etc.

Regarding International Students

Non-U.S. citizens must see an international student advisor regarding travel plans, your U.S. immigration documents and re-entry to the U.S. Note that you may also need to obtain a visa(s) for the country or countries you intend to visit. A visa may take as long as a month or two to obtain. See visa requirements of other countries at Electronic Embassy.

Other Helpful Items


Geared to your own travel style and itinerary. Student-oriented guidebook series include Let’s Go, Lonely Planet and Rough Guides.

International ID Card

Card provides a broad range of discounts overseas, including the International Student ID ISIC Card, Youth ID Card (for non-students under 26), or International Teacher ID Card (ITIC) for full-time instructors.

International Driver’s License

Can be obtained from AAA if you intend to drive while abroad.


Write down serial numbers, bring copies of receipts to avoid duty taxes, and make sure insurance and warranties are up to date (many home or renters’ insurance will cover computers). Be aware of differences between American and foreign electrical current to avoid damage. It is easier buying electrical converters here than abroad.


A quick and easy way to communicate with family and friends back home from internet cafes abroad. Free, web-based email accounts can be easily acquired (Hotmail, Yahoo!, etc.).