Graduate School Information

What is Graduate School?
Graduate school or graduate study is a specialized and demanding study of a field of interest beyond the Bachelor degree. Graduate programs offer an in-depth study of a concentrated academic area and vary in the number of credit hours in length and lead to a master’s degree, a certificate of advanced study, or a doctorate. For more information, please see our guide to graduate school.

What is a Master's degree?
The traditional graduate degrees in the liberal arts and sciences are the Master of Arts (M.A.) and the Master of Science (M.S.) degrees, which take one to two academic years of full-time study to complete. The M.A., in one of the liberal arts fields, generally requires a thesis as part of its degree completion (or comprehensive exams) whereas the M.S. usually requires a project or scientific research.

Master degrees besides the M.A., and M.S. are many, and emphasize practical knowledge and skills such as business, law, and medicine. Some professional programs that award a Masters degree are an M.B.A.(Master of Business Administration), an M.S.W.(Master of Social Work), an M.F.A. (Master of Fine Arts), an M.P.A. (Master of Public Administration) to name a few.

What is a Certificate of Advanced Studies?
(C.A.S.), Certificate of Advanced Graduate Studies (C.A.G.S), Professional Diplomas and Specialist Certificates are post-master’s programs and involve additional coursework beyond the master’s i.e. six years) and are intended to further expertise in a discipline.

Connecticut’s Public Liberal Arts University
83 Windham Street, Willimantic, Connecticut 06226 USA | Phone Number: (860) 465-4559 | Fax Number: (860) 465-4440
Contact Us | Directions | University Disclaimer | Eastern Home