Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Can Eastern’s biology degree allow me to go to medical school, veterinary school, dental school, optometry or podiatry school?
Yes! – many of our students go on to professional schools, and become doctors, veterinarians or dentists, currently working throughout the state of Connecticut. Our B.S. in biology allows you the broad education and research training needed to succeed in these professional schools.

Does Eastern have a marine biology program?
Our biology degree provides you the broad education required for a marine biology career. A number of our biology alumni have pursued graduate degrees in marine biology. The key to success in a marine biology career is a broad training in various aspects of biology and chemistry at the undergraduate level. In addition, research experience is important, whether it is an independent study project conducted under the direction of an ECSU faculty member, or participation in a summer research internship at another institution (e.g., a marine field station). Students interested in marine biology often participate in our Tropical Biology program, or pursue an internship at Mystic Aquarium or with the Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection.

Can Eastern’s biology degree allow me to go on to a career as a Physician’s Assistant or in Physical Therapy?

Yes! – For these careers you take the same biology courses as other biology majors during the first two years, and then specialize in medical or human health-oriented courses for your junior and senior year. Chemistry and physics requirements are also to be met – you need to check the websites for the schools with those professional programs so you can take all the specific courses they may require, which can vary from school to school. Many of our biology graduates have gone on to the Physician’s Assistant programs at Quinnipiac University and St. Louis University and have been successful in the field. Some interested in Physical Therapy programs have gone on to specialize in that field in universities in Pennsylvania.

Can I get a nursing degree if I get a biology degree from Eastern?
Many of our B.S. in biology graduates go on to finish their nursing practical training at either a community college (such as Three Rivers Community College) or do the Master’s in Nursing program and get both a nursing license and a Master’s degree. Either option takes about 1 to 1 ½ years to complete. Our students indicate that having had the close faculty-student mentoring and broad lab training at Eastern makes them more successful in getting through the nursing practical training and obtaining jobs in that field.