Church Farm Center for the Arts and Sciences
The 110-acre Church Farm Center for the Arts and Sciences, in nearby Ashford, CT, occupies land gifted to the Eastern Connecticut State University Foundation, Inc., in 2007 by Joseph and Dorothy (Church) Zaring of Washington, D.C. The farm had been in the Church family since the early 1800s. The Church family ran a successful clothing store chain in Hartford, Danielson, Putnam and Willimantic in the late 1800s and early 20th century, and used the Ashford farm as their summer home. The house, built in 1821, and barn, built in 1895, are on the National Historic Register.
The property includes upland forest, meadows, and a man-made pond, which serve as study sites for research and course field trips by Eastern science faculty and students. Studies are also conducted on the adjacent 80-acre Joshua’s Trust Church Farm Preserve, comprising forest and a marsh bordering the Mount Hope River.