Eastern's Home Page
  1. What does AccessAbility Services offer? The Office of AccessAbility Services provides services to students with disability based upon documentation and determined on a case by case basis. The services include, but are not limited to, academic accommodations, assistive technology, direct service support, registration, housing accommodations, and liaison with support agencies, such as the Bureau of Rehabilitation Services (BRS) and the Board of Education and Services for the Blind (BESB).
  2. Where do I go for support if I have a temporary disability? Services for students who have a temporary disability such as a broken leg, should contact the Office of AccessAbility Services to determine what support can be provided.
  3. Who should I contact if I have a disability and I need housing accommodations? To determine a reasonable housing accommodation, documentation stating the disability, how the disability impacts living in the residence halls and what type of accommodation is required must be submitted to the Office of AccessAbility Services. It is important to submit your documentation as early as possible in order to allow for the OAS to determine the reasonableness of your request and to collaborate with Housing and Residential Life. If documentation is not submitted early, then your request for accommodated housing may not be a viable option and you may be placed on a waiting list for your housing.
  4. Who do I contact to get the required documentation for my disability? It depends on the disability. Please refer to Documentation Guidelines as this outlines the accepted documentation and clinicians for specific disabilities. If you still have question, please contact the Office of AccessAbility Services.
  5. Who do I contact if I need accommodations for my disability? The Office of AccessAbility Services, (860) 465-0189. Faculty will not provide you with accommodations unless you have an accommodation letter from the Office of AccessAbility Services.
  6. Are there support groups at Eastern for students with disabilities? At the present time, no. However, ideas and plans have been discussed and new ideas are always welcome.
  7. How accessible is the campus for a wheelchair? The campus as a whole is quite accessible. All buildings have paddle doors and most have elevators. There are campus shuttles that have wheelchair lifts and loop around campus on a regular schedule. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Office of AccessAbility Services or after hours, the Campus Police.
  8. How well do faculty and staff work with students with disabilities? Overall, I must commend the faculty and staff at Eastern for their work with students with disabilities. A majority of the faculty and staff have attended disability awareness workshops and/or are in contact with the Office of AccessAbility Services to discuss access and accommodations for students with disabilities.
  9. Are there health services available for students with disabilities on campus? Health services are available to all students. If there is a specific disability-based need, you are encouraged to meet with the Health Services professionals to discuss your needs.
  10. What type of assistive technology is available on campus? Currently there is a room in the library that houses two computers, each with a scanner and a printer. The software on those computers include Kurzweil, Jaws, and Dragon. If you need a specific type of assistive device, please make an appointment with the Office of AccessAbility Services to discuss this matter.
  11. If I was on a 504 plan in high school, am I eligible for services at Eastern? A 504 plan does not automatically ensure eligibility for services. Eastern is required under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Amendment Act 2008 (ADAAA) to provide reasonable accommodations for students with disabilities. To determine if you are eligible for services you must submit appropriate documentation to the Office of AccessAbility Services for review.
  12. How do I resolve service delivery problems? It is fair to say that even with the best efforts of everyone involved with your service delivery at Eastern, a problem may occur. If this should happen, we strongly encourage you to let us know so that we can work together to solve the problem as quickly as possible. Experience has shown us that many times a problem arises because of a misunderstanding or miscommunication; clarification can be a quick and effective solution. We may be able to help with suggestions on how to resolve the issues at hand. If the OAS is part of the problem, we want to know that as well. We recommend the following progression as the most efficient way of dealing with issues:
Start by discussing the problem with the person involved.
If the matter is still unresolved, call and make an appointment with Dr. Pamela J. Starr, Coordinator of the Office of AccessAbility Services at (860) 465-0189. If the situation is still unresolved, please contact the Mr. Kenneth M. Bedini, Vice President for Student Affairs, at (860) 465-5247
Throughout any of these procedures, you may expect to be treated with respect, receive a timely response, and have your issues dealt with in a confidential manner (unless otherwise indicated). Disability-related law and University policy prohibit retaliation in any form against persons who file complaints. The University expects from you that you bring up any problems early, give clear and detailed information and be respectful of those people who are working with you. If you wish to know more about your rights as a disabled person under the laws and University policy, the OAS can refer you to the appropriate entity. An individual who believes he or she has been discriminated against on the basis of their disability should contact Dr. Pamela J. Starr at the Office of AccessAbility Services at (860) 465-0189. Eastern has developed this information in accordance with these references: Public Law 101-336; Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Amendment Act 2008 (ADAAA).